First Time Touring Caravan

Associate
We’ve toyed with the idea of getting a touring caravan for the past 2-3 years, what’s put us off in the past is the need to spend £10k plus for a decent one.

We’ve some spare cash now and the urge to get one has increased with Covid putting a dampener on holidays abroad for the time being and us having a dog that we don’t want to put into kennels.

I’ve had my licence for over 30 years, I’ve driven a Jumbo Transit for several years and my question to owners is, did you have any kind of lesson or tutorial before buying your first caravan or did you just jump straight in.

I’ve done lots of research on weight limits, the type of caravan we want and various differences in specs but the fact I’ve never towed one before leaves me with a very slight concern.

I’ve watched YouTube clips of how to reverse one onto a pitch, of course it looks easy as they’ve probably done it many times so are the courses a waste of money? In driving a jumbo van (which has often been near its weight limit) I feel I’ve got good experience of what it’s like driving with a lot of weight behind you and also awareness of the length.

Pointers, thoughts and experiences please?

Soldato
I was in the same boat about four years ago. We went to the NEC show in Birmingham and the caravan club had a free towing lesson if you booked in once you got there. It was only about 20 minutes but in just that time I gained some great pointers. I would have had more lessons if there were any training centres nearer but there aren't any within a reasonable distance from here.
Just remember when reversing if you turn the wheel in the direction the caravan is going in the mirror it will start to bring it back straight. Once you get the hang of that reversing gets better with practice. Buy a caravan with a motormover and use that to fine tune reversing onto a pitch, a lot of people just unhook without even trying to reverse and mover their vans on. If you do try and reverse everyone watches you, we've all been there starting out and you cant help watching how good others are.
The real key points with towing a caravan is to get the weight distribution correct in the caravan and don't go too quick as it can fast go wrong.

Caporegime
I would strongly advise you speak to a few driver training centres, most offer trailer training for car drivers, it isn't expensive in the grand scheme of things and you'll learn some invaluable lessons.

I jumped straight in and cracked on, didn't have too many issues, then again I've had a Class 1 HGV license for 17 years, that said, I was caught out myself reversing when I started as the pivot point is different compared to an artic so if I can still have trouble then no matter how easy it looks on YouTube, I guarantee you'll find it isn't.

Soldato
I'm also one that jumped straight in and got on with it. If you're good at reversing and manoeuvring anyway then once you understand the way reversing a trailer or caravan works its not really hard to do. Do read the advice on how to tow and keep your speed down when towing, we can all do 70mph still but everything can go wrong quite quickly!

If you can take a lesson then its silly not too but its not really that hard to do.

Soldato
Not the best time to be buying a caravan as prices are ridiculous.

We bought a 2015 Pursuit dealer special for example last March @ £9k...these are now selling for £13-£14k! That's bitcoin level of returns! Haha.

As for towing I never towed in my life before, really easy and just don't over think. Not caused any crashes as yet!

I will eventually do my license only to allow me to get a bigger car and bigger caravan in the future.

Associate
Some good points already here. My experience; we bought a caravan about 4 years ago for not much money to try it out (caravan is over 20 years old but still going strong). I jumped straight in with the towing, had never towed before other than a small trailer once or twice. It got dropped off at my house then that evening i took it to a local industrial estate where it was quiet, reversed it around some corners and into some parking spaces a couple of times. That was that. First time we took it out was for a long weekend about 20 miles away. Site was very quiet when we got there with loads of space so no pressure when parking it up. Other than that is is like anything, the more you do it the more you get used to it. Had a few 'baptisms of fire' on small Devon backroads etc in the past but no massive problems. Longest tow probably about 7 hours drive. I understand it is not for everyone but we love it. I get the best nights sleep when out in the caravan.

Towing forwards is easy as long as you have good perception of the size of the caravan behind you for width and the length/weight when at junctions or going down hills etc. The reversing, i either make it look easy somehow or end up making a right balls up of it. I live in a cul de sac but normally have to 3 point turn it to get it back in the driveway depending on who is parked where and find that easy enough. The first couple of times i dreaded it but as i say, the more you tow the more you get used to it tbh.

Associate
I bought my first van about 18 months ago. I couldn’t believe what they all seem to cost, irrespective of age or condition. Definitely have a prospective purchase professionally inspected for damp.

Reversing is a pain as is meeting somebody who won’t reverse when you meet them coming the other way down a lane. Consider caravan sat nav to avoid as many issues as possible.

Soldato
I bought my first van about 18 months ago. I couldn’t believe what they all seem to cost, irrespective of age or condition. Definitely have a prospective purchase professionally inspected for damp.

Reversing is a pain as is meeting somebody who won’t reverse when you meet them coming the other way down a lane. Consider caravan sat nav to avoid as many issues as possible.

Dont look at the prices now!

We paid £9k for out 2015 Bailey Pursuit Jive (dealer special) prior to first lock down... These are now selling for over £13k now!

Soldato
Couple of things To echo from above

Have any purchase inspected properly
And motormovers are a god send

And make sure your tow vehicle/van are well paired ie tow with an appropriate vehicle for the van you buy

SZEEn19W.jpg
|http://thumbsnap.com/SZEEn19W[/IMG]
qRp24mwE.jpg
|https://thumbsnap.com/qRp24mwE[/IMG]

Soldato
Never enjoyed towing so bought one and put on a cheap seasonal pitch in St aggie 2001 kept it there until we moved down, it was light enough to man handle on to the pitch (moved in to storage once a year)
Guess it became a static but changed our lives for sure

Associate
OP
I had a look around a few dealers last weekend. For £20k you can get a brand new Bailey but the build quality was lacking. You’d then need to throw into the cost the basics like motor mover and awning.

For £12k I could get a 10 year old caravan that was a bit knocked about and very well used. Actually standing in them I realised there was never going to be enough space in the ones that would actually fit on my drive.

A search of nearby storage facilities and they’re not cheap, more importantly every one of them was fully booked.

It is a terrible time to be buying a caravan so for now it’s back on the back burner

Back
Top Bottom