• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First upgrade in a long time - which GPU?

Soldato
I think it's about time I replaced my graphics card, as I'm still running a Radeon 6850 which I got back in 2012 :eek:

Current spec is:

Intel Core i7 3770
Asus P8Z77-V LX
Enermax Liberty 620 Watt PSU
Asus 1GB Radeon HD 6850

I game at 1920x1080.

I'm after fast/quiet/cool/low power. Haven't been tracking hardware for ages, but from a quick read it's looking like the OCUK Reference GTX 970 might fit the bill?

Any recommendations gratefully received. :)

Associate
Well this is my view, I ran a 5870 for 3 years and had no issues at all, I upgraded to a gtx770 and it ran ok for a while 12 months the benefits I noticed were not great. In the last three months I've had Neal issues with games locking up, they won't run unless I choose vvsync, I've keep an eye on temps and all ok, I even declocked it from stock but made no difference.

I honestly think its a combo of windows 8.1 and Nvidia drivers... Anyway I've given up and ordered an R290 I'm off back to ati

I rem back in the day, when I was Nvidia I had lots of issues of crashing to desktop black screens all drive based...

Ati gets my vote and if you've had no issues then I'd stick with them, the card I just ordered was the sapphire R290. At 229 the X is 259 but I thought d say 30 quid for the sake of a few mor fpw which I prob won't notice...

Soldato
970 ticks all your boxes if you can afford it. They cost less than GTX 770s a year and a half ago (I think they were around £325-375 back then) and are superior cards (even better than the 780s esp. when overclocked). If you want guaranteed quiet then Gibbo's "Galax Infinity" would be a good option*, as OcUK will replace it if it has any coil whine (and is designed not to have any/limit whine in the first place). Other than any possible coil whine issues they all seem very quiet fan-wise. And as for low power consumption, you won't get that with a Radeon of similar category unfortunately.

* Except they really should stick a 3 year warranty on it. 2 is low for a premium card.

Back
Top Bottom