• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fixed: Gigabyte RTX 3070 GAMING OC issues with NZXT H1

Associate
Hello everyone, I have an issue with my GPU not working in DX12 and I was thinking that maybe someone here can help me with some advices or figures out what going on.

I got my 3070 yesterday and was really excited to try it out in Cyberpunk 2077 (as you do) but i'm having a couple of weird issues with it. Personally I haven't seen this behaviour ever before.. so I'm assuming it has to do with the card but not sure if it's a GPU hardware issue or if it's a drivers issue/

So, the flow of events was as follows:

As soon as I installed the new card in my system, I've downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and it already seemed that my system is running slower even without running any games.

I tried resetting my pc and running a game (Cyberpunk 2077) and I immediately received an error that the game has crashed. So I couldn't even start the game. I tried resetting again and eventually made it in the game but after 5-10 minutes my system crashed completely and I received a BSOD.

Thinking that it might be a driver conflict, from my previous 2070 super, the next day, I reinstalled windows 10, update it to the latest version (initially updated to Win10 20h2 but after installing the Nvidia latest drivers the system entered in recovery mode and the Windows version rolled back to the previous version - therefor removing the 20h1 update) - again.. very weird.

Unfortunately with either driver version (4‎57.09 - the version you can download from Gigabyte site and 460.9 - the latest from Nvidia) I can't play Cyberpunk 2077, nor Control in DX12 (which means I can't use the RTX & DLSS options).

I tried running 3D Mark benchmark in DX12 and i received an error saying that the GPU fails to call the buffer size. this is what made me think it's an issue with the DX12 only.

I then ran the Heaven Benchmark which runs in DX11 and everything was ok, no errors, the GPU didn't crash and I got around 2100 Mhz and the temperature went up to 71C .. so, everything went smooth.

I tried playing Control in DX11.. ran perfectly.. I tried running it in DX12.. it crashed after loading the saved game and I received an error saying the hardware does not exist.

I would like to mention the rest of my specs:
  • Case - NZXT H1 (with it's original PSU)
  • SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DIMM, DDR4, 3200 MHz, CL16, 1.35V, XMP 2.0, Black
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 XT (stock clock) (cooler from NZXT H1 case)
  • MB ROG Strix X570-i
  • no overclocking on either of the components

I know that each system has it's own issues and particularities.. and I know that there are more people complaining about 30 series issues on the Nvidia Forum but I would still like to know your opinion (if anyone has one) if it looks more like a driver issue.. or more like a hardware one.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for the suggestion.

I updated the MB BIOS this morning an unfortunately it's just the same with the 3070 but... I do have additional info.
We tried the GPU in my bf's new setup and it works perfectly (as it should).

I've also come across this article https://videocardz.com/newz/manufacturers-respond-to-geforce-rtx-3080-3090-crash-to-desktop-issues
and I am now thinking it might be because of this.. especially because in my system (using a NZXT H1) the GPU is extremely close to the MB capacitators.. the thing I can't explain is why does it work fine in DX11 with the older drivers.. that's still a mystery to me.. but I guess that's what instability means..
I also checked what type of capacitators are used for this GPU and they are all POSCAPS and I'm thinking they might cause instability in my system.

Another thing I noticed and maybe it's worth mentioning is that in the 3DMark launcher (where you can see your specs) it says that the 3070 has 1500Mhz ..while the 2070 super shows 1605Mhz.. and as far as I know the 3070 should be at at least 1725Mhz (1815Mhz for this model)

Any thoughts?

Soldato
Another thing I noticed and maybe it's worth mentioning is that in the 3DMark launcher (where you can see your specs) it says that the 3070 has 1500Mhz ..while the 2070 super shows 1605Mhz.. and as far as I know the 3070 should be at at least 1725Mhz (1815Mhz for this model)

Any thoughts?

3070 base clock 1500mhz then the manufacturers guaranteed boost clock is what you are thinking of, mine is 1770mhz this is normal.
See below pic.

Starting to see more people having problems with this card its starting to sound like Gigabytes infamous bad batches showing its head again.

3rg.png

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the help!

It seems that the problem was with my system. The GPU itself seems to be working great... it was the PCI-E extender from the NZXT H1 that is Gen 3 so basically I had to set in BIOS for the MB to use PIC-E 3.0 instead of 4.0 or Auto and it works perfectly now..

I was actually about to return it.. but I'm so happy it works now :D

Associate
Thank you all for the help!

It seems that the problem was with my system. The GPU itself seems to be working great... it was the PCI-E extender from the NZXT H1 that is Gen 3 so basically I had to set in BIOS for the MB to use PIC-E 3.0 instead of 4.0 or Auto and it works perfectly now..

I was actually about to return it.. but I'm so happy it works now :D
I had this exact issue yesterday, just searched to check someone had posted the issue with a 'new' graphics card and the PCI riser that comes with the NZXT H1!

Back
Top Bottom