Fixed Or Offset Voltage?

Associate
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm running a 7820X on a bus of 100, multiplier x47, stable at about 1.25v using offset vcore (so each core varies slightly). They all get to about 80°C after 30 mins of Realbench and I've sent it off for de-lidding (really don't fancy tackling that myself!) as I want to push into the 4.8 - 5.0GHz range, but the temps didn't allow it.

In general, do people use offset voltages or stick to a fixed? Advantages to both?

Associate
OP
Ah sorry, I meant its 80°C at x47, then the voltage suddenly goes up to get stable at x48 and starts thermally throttling.

I've noticed with offset that different cores (colours) draw different voltages, would just setting a static fixed mean some cores are getting more voltage than necessary? Are they always drawing that voltage even when idle?

Thanks

Associate
At a fixed voltage your voltages wont reduce at idle , people sometimes prefer this to adaptive/ offset as stability is much easier to achieve as the voltage doesn't have to react to changes in core speed especially when set to a balanced power plan in windows. Personally i spend the extra time to get adaptive working after dialling in an overclock at a fixed voltage.

However don't be confused as voltage doesn't = current draw, just because your running a fixed voltage the current draw vs adaptive would be negligible, you'll get slightly higher idle temps but that's about it. Adaptive vs fixed on my water cooling = around 2 degrees higher loops temps at idle.

Back
Top Bottom