1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

Flashing 5970 with ASUS Bios

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Danny_75, 12 Apr 2010.

1. Danny_75

PermaBanned

As it says above iam going or looking at flashing my XFX with the ASUS Bios has anyone else done this?
    If so have you any tips.

If your asking why its because the ASUS Bios lets you get to 1.3Volts on the core.

2. alex24

Capodecina

Risky business for such an expensive card!

If you have to ask for tips I'd probably not risk it in case it screws up, though what do I know?

3. Danny_75

PermaBanned

I have flashed a number before today but never with a dif companys Bios. Iam running my own modded Bios at the min but like the idea that i have a nice slide bar to adjust the Volts. at the min i have to load a new Bios when i want to bench.

I only ask just incase someone has done this and its a waste of time.

4. alex24

Capodecina

That makes more sense then. Voltage control should improve overclocking ability, AFAIK only the Asus has this, and I think all the 5970s are technically made by the same company, so on paper it should work OK.

I don't think there are many on here who have done this however.

5. Temi_D

Wise Guy

so it isnt fast enough already?

6. el Kuarlos

Hitman

I get 5850 owners doing this. Honestly though with your card I would leave it.
    <in principle> should be fine.

7. Danny_75

PermaBanned

Its never fast enough :)

Thanks for any input,If i get time later will try it.Whats the worset that can happen,Can always flash it back.

I have Flashed the bios with no problems. But just incase anyone else is thinking of doing this dont bother you still cant get past 1.3V lol. Looks like iam stuck with hard setting the volts in the Bios!!! bugger.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2010
  8. layte

Wise Guy

Not quite the same, but I remember flashing my HIS 4870X2 with the ASUS Top BIOS back when they were silly money cards. Just make sure you get the correct BIOS for each core!

9. bhavv

PermaBanned

Its very risky to flash a 5970 because you usually wont have a backup card to allow reflashing, as you do with two cards in crossfire.

I've never had any problems with bios flashing on my cards though, but now I'm only going to buy the ones that already come with voltage tweak features in the future (Asus or MSI).

MSI cards are just epic rare in the UK though.

10. Danny_75

PermaBanned

This had the Voltage tweak already its the BE XFX but it only alows a max of 1.3V.

11. bhavv

PermaBanned

Use Msi afterburner to go up to 1.35v. That shouldnt be locked.

12. thingemajib

Wise Guy

i thourhgt its was up to the AIBs whether to go analogue or digital (so you could adjust voltage) on the VRM's, so if your card was analogue and the bios was made for one with digital, could that be a problem?

or do the 5900s have digital as standard?