• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Flashing BIOS on MSI 2080 Super Ventus OC

Associate
Hi all,

The BIOS on this card locks the power limit to 100%. Just wondering if anybody has heard of any success flashing a different BIOS onto this card to raise that limit? I cant seem to find any success stories, or even any attempt stories.

Just curious

Many thanks!

Soldato
It's a non a chip, the evga 2080 Super black has a non a chip and has a +17% power limit, I believe that would work.

There may be more non a chip bioses that are higher but that's a long job of checking each super then checking the bios for it.

For help yours is 250w the evga is 250-272w

Soldato
Excuse my ignorance - how am I checking that?
You would be checking the chip name on the gpu database of tech power up,
Yours is TU104-450-A1

But I had a look for you and of the 10 i randomly clicked on they all had the same chip, so I believe there is no A or B chip, they are all the same

So in theory you could flash any of those bios to yours, but I would make sure you have on board graphics or a spare card of any working type in case it doesn't work so you can flash it back to normal

Associate
OP
I see - whats the deal with flashing BIOS these days? I haven't done it since HD7950 days!

Is there much risk of bricking card? Do these cards have dual bios?

Soldato
I see - whats the deal with flashing BIOS these days? I haven't done it since HD7950 days!

Is there much risk of bricking card? Do these cards have dual bios?
If you have a little Flicky switch like some cards do then you have dual bios

I have flashed a vega 56 to 64,and a 2080 to a higher power limit. There is always a risk but its low. Its easy to put it back to normal if you have a separate igpu or gpu to still get to windows and reflash back

Soldato
The process is downloading a small program, getting your new bios, back up your current one using the program, then flash it with the new one. I wrote a guide for someone else on the forum I can paste it to you if you'd like

Associate
OP
Yup so dont seem to have the little switch on this card - may still be tempted. If you could post that guide that would be perfect :) Thankyou

Soldato
And heres how to do it.
-First go to device manager and disable your 2080 to disable the driver (it restarts with the next boot)

-Create a folder on the root of your C: drive called nvflash

-put the files from the nvflash download in here

-Put the bios's you download in here and rename them Giga1.rom, kfa.rom - something simple

-Press windows key type CMD and run that as admin

-Type cd/nvflash - Hit Enter

-Type nvflash64 -b backup.rom
to make a backup

Type nvflash64 --protectoff

Then flash the bios you want on by typing nvflash64 -6 (ROM NAME).rom

for example nvflash64 -6 evga1.rom

It will ask you if you want to do it.

Then restart the pc when its done, go into gpu-z and afterburner and check its done its business.

Associate
OP
Perfect - thanks for that much appreciatd

I wont try anything past the 17% limit - just curious though, is there any anecdotal evidence that you know of about the MSI card being able to deal with the extra power? VRM wise

Associate
OP
That's why I recommended the evga black. Both boards are the nvidia reference pcb design with the same vrms etc

As in, the MSI Ventus OC and the EVGA Black are both the same design as reference 2080 Super? Does reference 2080 super also support 17% power limit increase?

Associate
OP
Ah I see - so in theory my card should be just as happy plodding along with the same 12% increase that reference cards get shipped with the option of?

Soldato
That's good to know! Thanks for all of your help - where do you find this info? That my card is reference design etc?

Also! just to quiz you further, I'd like to put this card under an AIO water loop, any suggestions?
It's all on tech power up, under the gpu database section, I know from my own geekyness which cards are custom pcbs, ones like the kingpin and xc2 ultra, galaxy HOF, some high end asus, mostly the most expensive ones lol

You mean a water block with radiator, fan and pump all in one? Hmmm let me look

Back
Top Bottom