1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flathunting - What to look for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by -westy-, 1 Aug 2006.

1. -westy-

Capodecina

Hi,

Myself and a mate are going to be looking for a flat soon - and to be honest we don't really know what we're doing :/

WHat should be included ideally? water, council tax...?

We're both employed full time, so what would we need to be paying?

Cheers :)

2. Andr3w

Capodecina

make sure you dont settle for the first decent thing that comes along, odds are if you keep looking you will find something better :)

3. Luke

Soldato

I take it you are looking to rent and not buy?

4. _dogma_

Wise Guy

What he said, but if you find one you really like decide to get it as quickly as possible otherwise you probably won't get ot due to other people liking it too. (It happened to me twice so I just stopped looking and got my bf to pick a flat so I wouldn't be disappointed if the one I liked had gone. :( )

5. -westy-

Capodecina

Yep, looking to rent.

We're both earning around £13-14k a year :)

6. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Those will not be included in the rent.

7. JaFFa

Mobster

a couple of years ago i lived in a house where the water was paid for in the rent...

8. Rich_L

Capodecina

Welllll..it depends entirely on where you're looking and what the deal with the landlord is! Some are bills inclusive, some are council-tax inclusive, some are just rental, read the small print! :)

9. wozzizname

Wise Guy

My current flats rent includes the water bill :)

10. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Hmm I bet 99% of the time it isn't included. He should work on the assumption that it isn't as I would say it is very unusual.

11. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Oh and FWIW, my advice - get one on the top floor, it's usually quieter.

12. -westy-

Capodecina

Its not going to be in a tower block or anything - we may end up renting a house if we can afford it. Everything would be split 2 ways. So we'd be able to afford a nice place I reckon :)

13. dirtydog

PermaBanned

It doesn't have to be a tower block - I live on the top floor, which is just the first floor :) I expect you'll be able to afford a house comfortably between you though which is obviously better [​IMG]

14. Glaucus

Man of Honour

Not much, really. Most flats are acceptable..

Parking on the street, check its not always full..

The only one I would advise. Shower, make sure it has a full height shower. some are only meant to come up about a ft over the bath..

15. crashuk

PermaBanned

well if you wanna save money you could look for a one bedroom flat and either sleep in the same bedroom or one takes the sitting room and the other the bedroom.

16. Alasdair

Wise Guy

This doesn't work very well if your sitting room is also your kitchen.

Best off searching letting agency sites, see what you can get for your money, then viewing a few. Chances are though, if the place is nice, you'll have to make your mind up within a couple of days as it'll go very quickly. We only got our current place because the people it was promised to got canned by a previous reference.

17. Sleepy

PermaBanned

But hotter!

18. Sleepy

PermaBanned

Don't forget to budget for buying furniture, washing machines may be eve fridge and cooker. Flats are rarely IME furnished and some don't even have anything.

19. Sequoia

Wise Guy

There's no answer to that. A pokey 2-bed dive in the butt-end of a slum is going to be a bit different to an 8,000 sq. foot 'palace' on 5th Avenue in New York .... which will cost you between $12,000 and $20,000 per month (and no, I didn't type that wrong). And there's a world of diversity in-between.

When you're hunting about, -westy-, remember that "location is king". If you want something in a thriving, lively city centre area close to theatres and among bars and clubs, with good rail links to a working metropolis a walking distance away, it's going to cost more than a much bigger place in a quiet, 'undesirable' location.

You need to narrow down what you want, and as a separate issue, what you need. Isolate what factors are deal-breakers, and you'll be halfway to finding somewhere suitable.

Most youngsters want a vibrant, lively area near the local nightlife, but you couldn't pay me enough to live in a city centre like that. I like the peace and quiet of the country, and if I never went in another pub or club in my life, it wouldn't upset me. We'd probably be looking for very different things in a flat. I wouldn't live full-time in that $20k/month New York flat if it was rent-free.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2006
  20. Kell_ee001

Capodecina

As Sequoia said...

Location, Location, Location!

:D

And as far as bills being included is concerned, work on the assumption that nothing is unless the agent / landlord specifically says otherwise :)