Flying in America

Associate
Hi,

I'm planning on going to the US of A in the summer. I was wondering who are the cheapest to fly with (internally) in the US? My dad was saying that it is possible to turn up on the day and get into cheap 'cancellation' slots? Or something like this. Does anyone know about this?

My plan is to fly to New York and take a look around, then from New York I need to get to Minneapolis. The plan is currently to fly from New York -> Chicago and then get the train / grey hound from chicago to Minneapolis.

I imagine if I do it right the cost would be similar-ish to direct flights to Minneapolis but I would get to see a lot more...! Oh and I have plenty of AirMiles to spend can you use those on internal US flights? I'm planning on using these for my flight to New York at the very least.

Thanks in advance for any (useful) input.

Man of Honour
Airlines like Southwest, Jetblue and Airtran are the main low cost carriers in the US but in my experience the major airlines offer competing and sometimes cheaper fares on the same routes with better service.

I fly in the USA regularly and in my experience Continental and Delta offer the best overall flying experience. If they're around the same price as the rest I'd fly wih them.

Man of Honour
All of the above makes sense to me - done a few domestic filghts myself over the years.

You still have to fight the security lines but it's certainly a relief to arrive at the other end and walk straight out.

Associate
OP
I literally can't believe how cheap some of these flights are.... £82 from New York to Minneapolis. Thats half the flippin' country! Insane.

Any recommended Youth Hostels in New York? How long does the train/subway/tube take to get from the airport to Manhattan?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Also; when are the cheapest times to fly? Would I be able to get any cheaper flights by waiting on standby for the next free seat?

Man of Honour
Also; when are the cheapest times to fly? Would I be able to get any cheaper flights by waiting on standby for the next free seat?

Unlikely. I have flown standby internally a few times and it's not a nice experience, especially if time is limited. It can often end up costing you more. For example, I got stuck in Atlanta back in February whilst travelling standby and due to unexpected weather disruption, I was stuck there overnight with my next availale flight over 20 hours away.
I had the option of an airport hotel which I discounted because they were mega expensive and booked solid.

I took the option of a rental car which cost me $250 for a one way 24 hour rental and the cost of gas and energy drinks on top of that to see me through the 500 mile drive through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana to New Orleans.

So flying standby to save a hundred quid ended up costing me about $350 more, 8 hours on the road in a crappy 3 speed auto Toyota throughout the night after being awake for 30 odd hours.

It's not worth it if you have any sort of deadlne. If you like random roadtrps and wee adentures ike that though then I guess ou may like it!

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I literally can't believe how cheap some of these flights are.... £82 from New York to Minneapolis. Thats half the flippin' country! Insane.

Any recommended Youth Hostels in New York? How long does the train/subway/tube take to get from the airport to Manhattan?

Thats no different to flights here in europe? :confused: Flying pretty much anywhere with cheap carriers such as easyjet is low cost. I was looking at some low cost flights down to Nice for around £30!

Soldato
For example, I got stuck in Atlanta back in February whilst travelling standby and due to unexpected weather disruption, I was stuck there overnight with my next availale flight over 20 hours away.
I had the option of an airport hotel which I discounted because they were mega expensive and booked solid.

<shudder>

It's a good thing you didn't stay in Hartsfield International... Horrible, horrible airport. I don't think I've ever felt less helped out by airport staff, apart from in Ben Gurion.

Don

you would see how they do it cheap if you had flown internally in US often, the planes are all knackered :p

Associate
OP
Thats no different to flights here in europe? :confused: Flying pretty much anywhere with cheap carriers such as easyjet is low cost. I was looking at some low cost flights down to Nice for around £30!

Try flying from Manchester to London for less than £100!

Man of Honour
<shudder>

It's a good thing you didn't stay in Hartsfield International... Horrible, horrible airport. I don't think I've ever felt less helped out by airport staff, apart from in Ben Gurion.

I'm usually in ATL at least twice a month although I've managed to avoid it this month and go via Houston. Immigration staff in Atlanta are much better than Houston but the rest of the airport is completely different. It's a hateful place.

Soldato
I'm usually in ATL at least twice a month although I've managed to avoid it this month and go via Houston. Immigration staff in Atlanta are much better than Houston but the rest of the airport is completely different. It's a hateful place.

It's the whole 'our airport is so insecure, you can have you bags back for a bit... then check them in again while you get on a monorail' that I don't like. I was living out in ATL for five months, and had to do a few airport drops while there. That coupled with the ATL traffic was godawful.

Where are you based in Atlanta when you're out? I lived in Midtown (two blocks south of Piedmont Park) and worked out at the Carter Center.

Back
Top Bottom