FM Modulators for Ipod

Soldato
Dunno if this is the right forum, humblest apologise if its not!

Are these fm modulators that are connected directly to the aerial any good> if so what do you recommend, im really miffed cos the 6006e int he Focus has no additional inputs, so im basically left with the choice of New HU or FM Modulator.

thoughts and opinions please!

thanks

Soldato
I use one of the FM broadcast ones with my 3G iPod andf have no issues with it at all. choose your frequency, slot in the iPod and you are good to go.

aparently there are some legal issues with using them in the UK but there you are...

The quality isn't as good as from the local CD player or as good as an iPod pluged in directly to a HU but better than a good quality broadcast radio station.

I suspect that the direct connection one will be a little bit better in terms of quality but as you are still getting the sound converted to and from a FM signal it's won't be a huge difference.

make sure that you choose a frequency in a nice quiet area of the spectrum that your HU supports.

HT

Soldato
OP
ive got a Belkin FM transmitter and its frankly hopeless, drive up the m20 and its lost signal 3 or 4 times.

So the direct plug in units might fair better?

Soldato
Depending on the sort of audio quality you can accept, you may not be able to suffer it. A friend of mine fitted one to his car and, although neither of us could be considered audio aficionados, the quality was so dissimilar to CD it just wasn't ever going to last. After the initial "this is cool" reaction which lasted about an hour, it was removed and put in the cupboard :)

Soldato
I've had an FM cradle and the official iTrip for my old iPod and neither of them were usable to my ears. They sounded a bit like they were playing through a sock, and switching to CD or even something like Radio 1 and back again really showed up the lack of quality. Even a tape adapter was much better.

Soldato
OP
this is what im afraid of, the different volume levels of my recording irritates me, so sounding like a tape is really going to get up my nose!

Time to convince the wife we need an alpine.... :p

Soldato
OP
Abyss said:
I don't know anything about them, but on a quick google browse, this might be what you are after?

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=VFOX001

thanks for that, but unfortunately the CD changer is built in to the HU on the radio i have so no need for seperate box, so no aux or cd changer in on th eHU

Later focus models have the aux in in glovebox but mine doesnt...though i will investigate the mondeo version further

thanks guys

Soldato
I was under the impression that the model with the built in disc changer was the 6006, which it appears to support? Does it definately have no connections on the back other than the two rectangular connections from the wiring loom and the aeriel?

Back
Top Bottom