1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Focus issues?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by NightShadow, 13 May 2010.

1. NightShadow

Wise Guy

I have a 1000D and now have a few lenses but I have never been blown away by the sharpness of most pictures I take. I used to put it down to the kit lens and me being a noob but now I have the nifty 50 and a sigma 17-70 (which is supposed to be a fairly sharp lens) and it doesn't seem much better. Compared to alot of shots on here the pictures I take seem soft or like the focus is out. Is it possible for the body itself to be out of calibration or am I expecting too much? I have tried shapening pictures as far as the slider goes in the Canon DPP software and playing is PS but it's never as sharp as I would like to see. Any thoughts?

2. Stupot_

Mobster

Post up a link to a full res shot you're not happy with. It may just be a case of you're looking too close;)

The nifty 50 is notoriously bad at focusing, I didn't get too many keepers with mine! Don't know much about the 17-70.

How are you focusing? I prefer center point, and then custom function 4-1 (this might be different on the 1000d, or non existent! ) on my 350d which sets the focus to the star button rather than the shutter. Both these things mean you can control your focus a lot better.

3. NightShadow

Wise Guy

Am using center point for focusing, will try and get a full res picture up later on tonight.

4. aztechnology

Mobster

set the aperture to a suitable number for the shot you want to ensure you are not get DoF issues. Then you should be able to see if it is focussing correctly. You could also try some proper focus testing with a focus sheet and a distance scale....

5. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

Be aware that the 50mm F1.8 really isn't very good wide open. My old one was spot on from F2.5, but at F1.8, it was dog soft.