Focus on imaging, NEC Birmingham, anyone going?

Soldato
As title, seen this starts a week tomorrow for 4 days, is anyone here thinking of going?

Never been before and not in the market for new gear, is it worth a visit for a bit of inspiration and to drool over some gear?

Soldato
Yeah I'm going, I have the week off work so going on the Tuesday.

Last year was really good, only bad part about this year is Adobe will not be there which is a shame because I liked their presentations.

Soldato
Can I Just ask. I am slowly getting into photography.

Is it a good show this? worth while going? It is about an hours drive from me. Just not sure what to expect.

Do you take your camera?, is it like a lot of shows, ie, stuff cheaper at the show?

thank you

Associate
Came back from it today, although I didn't buy anything its fun to go around, see and use everything photo/video related before buying at a discounted price, not sure how great the discounts are tbh but nearly everyone had bought something.

There are also quite a few presentations and tutorials/workshops all around.
I did get a couple free photo prints though :)

Soldato
Went today.

1st time i have ever been as only just started getting into Photography.

I did not take my DSLR, but there were plenty of people with them. Not really sure why to be honest. Think it was just to take photo's of the few pretty girls that were there.

Managed to pick up a Nikon 35mm 1.8 Lens though though for £119. From Calumet.

But I did also buy a Hoya HMC UV Filer from them as well for the above lens at £15. Driving home I thought I do not really need a UV filter on this lens as it obviously came with a lens hood as well.

Maybe someone can give me some advice on that bit.

Bumped into this man as well. I am sure you know him from the Gadget Show. Jon Bentley.

IMG-20130305-01337_zpsf670d791.jpg

Soldato
It's worth having. I prefer cleaning a filter to cleaning a lens (less chance of making a three figure mistake) and when it comes to resale you pretty much always make at least half of the money back that you spent simply by having a spotless front element and being able to say that it's lived behind a filter all of its life. Plus if you throw the filter in as well you can make the other half back as well.

Soldato
Bumped into this man as well. I am sure you know him from the Gadget Show. Jon Bentley.[/IMG]

Lol, yeah I was on top of the canon stand trying out the 500mm and spotted him walking up the hall through the crowd. Looks like he was just there to have a look around as he didn't have any cameras with him etc.

Soldato
OP
The show was far busier than I expected but I did go on the Sunday.

I spent around 3 hours looking around, couldnt get on the canon "DSLR Bar" to get my hands on a 5DII with 17-40 on it, but did wait in line to have a go with the super telephoto lenses upstairs!

I came away with a bit of software as all the hardware stands were a brawl! Also enjoyed looking at the numberous displays, seems photo books are big business at the moment! Lots of different companies to try!

Back
Top Bottom