Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 17th February 2006

Man of Honour
Soldato
Groan. I guess that's what I'll have to do. It doesn't work perfectly though. Joe42 has a post that would get moved one slot up no matter what. I suppose that I could trim the pictures for both guides so that they totaled to 5. Anything I do will be done tomorrow morning.

We'll see :(

Man of Honour
rich99million said:
well in terms of output i guess it's these guys...

Walter_Anderson - 2173
the_running_man21 - 2164
AcidHell2 - 2073
Prescott28 - 2057
Huddy - 1841

though I think Huddy may have caught the borging bug and we'll see his output rocketting up soon :D

yep not a bad week, since i had my machine down again for a few days.

Hopefully get that second dual processor machine up and running this weekend. Didn't get much time this weekend just gone since I was in Liverpool with a bunch of internet geeks :p ;)

Associate
Mattus said:
Whitestar's output over the last few days: :eek: :D

Tis nice isn't it. Unfortunatly it can't stay like that. Initially I left all the computers on to see if the filtering server could handle all the traffic without causing problems. Then I decided to leave them on for a few more days. Its given us a little boost and kept us in front of engadget a little bit longer, but it can't stop the inevitable.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Aight Stan, I converted 2 images to links then put them both in the running FAH post. I think it should all be good now as I'm satisfied with the state of things. there is still a orphan post at the bottom but I think we can just leave that blank for future revisions.

Joe, if you could update to-do list in your post to refelct these activities we're in business.

Need it anything else?

rich99million said:
well with the link to Joe's guide it just displays that one post - maybe we need a link right at the very top of the main thread.

sorry I missed this earlier, rich. Consider it done :)

Soldato
The link to my guide at the top neads changing to be the same as the one at the bottom, so it displays the thread rather than just my post. Unless the top link is meant to be that way?

I've removed the yellow mess.
I'll deal with whats left at the bottom of my guide shortly.

The rest looks good, are we ready to be stickied?

Regarding that promised stomp. I'm afraid its probably not going to happen, however for the good of my output, i'll be trying to compete. Glad you could spare one from hack a day, the faq writer needs to be at least in the top 100. ;)

Should we allow people to post in the new sticky?
I personally think not, as it creates a mess.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
Joe42 said:
The link to my guide at the top neads changing to be the same as the one at the bottom, so it displays the thread rather than just my post. Unless the top link is meant to be that way?
It was intended that way so that it takes you to a page that would load very quickly. you have polenty of links to the full guide in that single post so I'd say it's OK. if you like I can change it.

Joe42 said:
The rest looks good, are we ready to be stickied?
Methinks so.

Joe42 said:
Regarding that promised stomp. I'm afraid its probably not going to happen, however for the good of my output, i'll be trying to compete. Glad you could spare one from hack a day, the faq writer needs to be at least in the top 100. ;)
I've got 4 P4s on the case at the moment. we'll see how long it takes to get there. If necessary, I can move some more machines. In the last 50 days i do have 84 of them. :p

Joe42 said:
Should we allow people to post in the new sticky?
I don't mind it. I think that there's something uninviting about having a locked guide like that. It's nothing too obvious but if some newbie wanders along and feels like asking a FAH question I think they're more than welcome to do so. I'd prefer that they didn't but I dont mind if they do. If such a thing happens we'll answer the question and ask that further discussion take place in a new non-stuck thread.

Soldato
I think we shouldn't allow people to post in the sticky.
If we do, we get people's questions immortalised for all eternity at the top of the sticky, and we get a mess of posts.
However, as you say, its uninviting to have a locked sticky, so...

I propose that rich posts at the bottom of the guide with a link to his latest team news, if he doesn't mind doing that. Readers can follow that link after reading the faq and post in the latest edition of the team news. This also means more people read and appreciate rich's team news, which is likely to encourage them to fold.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I don't suppose there is any trickery that can automaticly update such a link to fit the most recent team news, is there? It would be something of a drag for rich to have to edit his post every week. And who is to say that rich will continue to do so forever? Maybe the BOINC commandos will finally pry him from the warm foldy hug of Team 10... :p

Soldato
There ought to be, but this software is quite limited in what it can do, as you found. Ask a don about it when you ask them to do the sticky.

Rich maintains links to a number of previous news issues at the bottom of each new news issue anyway, so i would hope that he could simply put these links at the bottom of the sticky instead of the bottom of his guide. Should be no extra effort. Indeed, i might do it myself if he doesn't want to.

Rich99Million said:
Previous Week's News: February 10th, February 3rd, January 27th, January 20th, January 13th, January 6th, December 30th, December 23rd, December 16th, December 9th, November 25th, November 18th, November 11th, November 4th, October 28th, October 21st, October 14th, October 7th, September 23rd, September 9th, September 2nd, August 26th.

I'm sure if rich feels he's had enough of doing the weekly team news, someone will step in and continue it. Its part of this team, as long as theres a team there will be folding news i think.

Soldato
Yeah, good idea.

In the mean time, lets talk about what were actually going to do with this new spangly f@h guide.

My thoughts:

Current Team Position:
-The average ppd per member is about 500 points. This is a lot higher than most teams. Therefore our problem is not with user output, but rather a lack of users.

Team Target:
-To double our active members to around 200, or to double our ppd to around 100. Achieveable i think.

Recruiting Ideas:
(re-posted)

1: The 100ghz project.
Set up a thread in the gd and try and hit 100ghz of added folding power.
Obviously, for a64s and the like a 3200+ = 3.2 ghz added. Someone would keep tabs on people and check that they are only adding new machines and not adding machines that are already folding. Someone can keep a running total of how much has been added.
This idea was inspired by the Techreport 'terahertz project ' where they added a terahertz of folding power. They are 7th at folding btw.

2:
Offer a prize to the first person to beat my points score (or anyone else who's point score would be relatively easy to beat).
Participants must not be previous folders, they must be new recruits. They must also announce in the thread in the gd that they are participating. First one to beat my point score and overtake me gets the prize, or something along those lines.

3: Create a folding name (OCUK Gangsters or something) and award the person who contributes to it the most a prize. This allows people who haven't a hope of competing with the rest of us, or who don't want an account under their own name to participate. Again, inspired by the Techreport 'UnitedGerbilNation '. The prize might not even be necessary, if we launch this in the gd and give people the details to join.

I think option’s 1 and 3 are most promising, and both are likely to work purely on team/forum spirit rather than requiring prizes.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Sculptor said he's still willing to give his CPU away in a OcUK prize of CPU spangliness. A CPU is a lot more tempting than something less tangible.
If we have a prize to offer, everything changes.
We will still need the recruiting methods that don't require prizes in the future.

So we will have a competition to win a cpu. What should be the winning criteria?
We can't use most ppd unless this is only for new users.

Man of Honour
Soldato
If only for new users: How about have the contestant reach a certain number of points after a certain period of time. We'll think of a goal ppd/user then make it mandatory. Users who can do better are encouraged to do so. After the time period is up, let's say a month, we'll randomly choose one of the eligible contestants and notify via thread and email.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
If only for new users: How about have the contestant reach a certain number of points after a certain period of time. We'll think of a goal ppd/user then make it mandatory. Users who can do better are encouraged to do so. After the time period is up, let's say a month, we'll randomly choose one of the eligible contestants and notify via thread and email.
Sounds good to me.

I think we should make a thread in the gd to say that theres a new folding guide, and link to it.

We can have the competition in a few days time.

We have been stuck btw. Its all done and dusted now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
Nah, (to mix metaphors) we've got to burst out of the gates with all guns blazing. We shouldn't start our spammage before we have anything to say other than, "Hey there, we're the FAH dudes and we want you to be like us." We can be much more inticing than that with just a bit of work.

Back
Top Bottom