Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 17th February 2006

Soldato
Your forum needs you!
Click here to help Ocuk folding at home team 10 find a cure for cancer.
Your team needs your contribution!
Click here for the all new folding@home guide, and find out how you can help The worlds finest team.

Something along those lines is sure to help?

Man of Honour
Soldato
Yeah but it needs the added fanfare of a contest. Anybody can spam, it takes The World's Finest Team™ to spam with honor and integrity and the promises of free stuff.

EDIT: Joe, can you remove the bit at the end about not posting in the thread? Also, what's with the Firefox pimpage?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
It would be something of a drag for rich to have to edit his post every week.
Well it would be a slight drag but I already edit my signature every week to point to the most recent news post (well usually anyway :p)
The redirect sounds like a great idea though as I could then use that address in my sig and it'd only require the same amount of work as it does already.
I don't have the means for such wizardry myself but if someone would like to set it up and give me the info I'll need then I'm happy to take care of it

BillytheImpaler said:
And who is to say that rich will continue to do so forever?
Well me for one :D
Seriously though I hope that whatever I'm doing wherever in the world the least I can do for the team is get the news out on time (-ish) each week

BillytheImpaler said:
Maybe the BOINC commandos will finally pry him from the warm foldy hug of Team 10... :p
They'll never take me aliiiiiiiive :p

Sorry to hear the guide is being a bit of a pain - the restrictions of the forum do make it hard to do what you want sometimes, however they hold the greatest appeal for people who are used to spending time reading here, it also saves any possible trouble of advertising an external site which could cause grief with those up tharrrr :o

Soldato
And if it's hosted on the forum, the guide will always be up when the forums are up, which is more than could be said for an external host!

Soldato
EDIT: Joe, can you remove the bit at the end about not posting in the thread? Also, what's with the Firefox pimpage?

No, because for the time being people aren't allowed to post in the thread.
I expect we may need to add a post to the end, and even if we don't, we shouldn't ruin a good sticky by making it into an immortal f@h silly questions thread.

What firefox pimpage? ;)

I think i'm going to add a link to rich's latest news in my faq to help prevent people posting in the sticky. I'll update it manually until we find a better way, or i get sick of it. That way people have somewhere to go if they still need to ask questions after reading the faq.

Soldato
how much hardware could we buy if we all donated £10-20?
maybe get a new stompie?

oh and !!54300!!

cert.php

Associate
VeNT said:
how much hardware could we buy if we all donated £10-20?
maybe get a new stompie?

Would it not be best for someone (trust worthy of course) to set up a paypal account, set a deadline and have a weekly or live total, everyone tries to donate at least 20 quid, try and get a few sponsers ie like maybe the company you work for would fancy spending 100quid or so for a logo on a project/stompie page etc..

Whetever we get at the deadline try and get the best stompie that money could buy. 20 quid is a more likely donation than 50+ that was spoke about on other pages.

Last edited:
Soldato
MajorPart said:
...try and get a few sponsers ie like maybe the company you work for would fancy spending 100quid or so for a logo on a project/stompie page etc..
It occurs to me that the company we fold for ought to be helping us with this... :(
Unlikely to happen but we had better ask...

Associate
Joe42 said:
It occurs to me that the company we fold for ought to be helping us with this... :(
Unlikely to happen but we had better ask...

True.. Well i would have thought they might give some sort of discount for the parts we get for the Stomper.. seeing that it will see/help the OcUK name go higher up in the list, therefore viewed/mentioned/joined more ?!?!

Also a day overdue F@H parp for you ;)

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
I give it a snowball's chance in Hell that Spie would help out in any way. be it housing, funding, or discounts. As far as he's concerned the forums et al. are a net loss.
Sad but true.
If he used a decent hosting solution that didn't cost the earth i expect the forums would be profitable, but sadly he prefers the convenience of his current solution and doesn't seem to mind the price, despite the fact that the money could probably be better spent elsewhere.

Parp achnowledged ;)
I won't catch you for some time i'm afraid. I'm taking steps towards making my opteron run overnight. Couple of panaflo's should do it. Also hoping to add a 433mhz celeron to run 24/7 in a few weeks time. It also needs the panaflo treatment.

The team has dropped to 28,000ppd from 58,000ppd. Never was there a better time for that competition in the gd...

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the days when OcUK itself would get involved with the DC teams are long gone. The company has grown and its ethos has changed; it's no longer a friendly little overclocking business but a great big computer supplier.

Back
Top Bottom