Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 2nd June 2006

Soldato
Whitestar said:
Right. Am in the process of moving my machines to folding. Got it all set up and working fine.
Just one question.
Is there a switch to make fahmon start minimized to the tray?
Does fahmon go in the tray?
If you drag a shortcut into the startup folder in the start menu or use scheduled tasks you can get it to run on startup...

My opty has decided to start behaving again.
Solved two of my problems. Moving my documents to a local drive got rid of the freezing and sluggishness, i really really hate the way windows manages my documents and i wish it was just a normal folder so i could keep it on a network drive. And my soundcard decided to start working again, i messed around with the conenctors and that may have been it.
Overclocked it to 2.5 @ 1.45v and today is a good test to see how hot its getting. I constructed a duct between the ninja and the 65cfm panaflo and knocked more than 3 degrees off temps.
Room temp: 28
Cpu temp with panaflo on lowest speed (silent): 47
Cpu temp with panaflo on highest speed (65 cfm): 45

I also have a nexus going full speed on the front of the ninja.
So its folding again :D
I have the ram on a big divider because i think i'm still getting the memtest errors. Prime is ok tho and thats good enough for the time being.

So what temps are you lot getting in this glorious weather? ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
There's a bit to check in the FahMon preferences that enables tray-mode, IIRC. I'm in the land of Macs at the moment so I can't verify.
You are correct.
Fahmon/prererences/Enable system tray icon.

Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
There's a bit to check in the FahMon preferences that enables tray-mode, IIRC. I'm in the land of Macs at the moment so I can't verify.

Yep you can do this, not sure if it starts minimized to tray though.

EDIT: poo, I've told it to minimize to tray but now its not opening

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
yes there is - though I can't find a way of starting it minimised
I even tried starting it with -min in the shortcut and things like that :p

FahMon v2 also won't let you run more than one instance so starting it using a scheduled task at system startup would mean you'd have to kill it off before being able to open it to view what was going on.

FahMon v1.8.1 may be the best solution as you could set it to run when your machine started so it shouldn't show on the screen but would be logging data - then when you run a second instance you'd see what all the machines had been getting up to :)
You'd have to set it to auto-reload every x minutes but that's no problem

Man of Honour
Soldato
As a scheduled task it would show up. Scheduled tasks are not the same as services.

I have FahMon installed as a service on a few of my machines. It starts at boot time. I'm not sure if it is actually gathering benchmarks every five minutes though.

I can show you how to install it as a service if you like.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:
yes there is - though I can't find a way of starting it minimised
I even tried starting it with -min in the shortcut and things like that :p

FahMon v2 also won't let you run more than one instance so starting it using a scheduled task at system startup would mean you'd have to kill it off before being able to open it to view what was going on.

FahMon v1.8.1 may be the best solution as you could set it to run when your machine started so it shouldn't show on the screen but would be logging data - then when you run a second instance you'd see what all the machines had been getting up to :)
You'd have to set it to auto-reload every x minutes but that's no problem

Oddly enough, I was trying the same things :eek:

I tried the latest version, version 2.04 and version 1.81 with the -min flag in the shortcut but to no avail - they started minimised but not to the tray :(

I picked 1.8.1 because I seemed to remember having that start when I booted which was handy - haven't tried that with the "2" series but you're right, it won't let you run 2 instances at a time so that would be pretty pants really.

Stan :)

Man of Honour
Soldato
Whitestar said:
That would be handy if you could.
This is an explanation of what I did to serviceize/daemonize FahMon on my Windows computers. You can take it as a how-to or you can take it as a poke in the arm to improve on my (manual) methods. This guide was heavily influenced by Deamon of Little White Dog's Seti@Home team, kudos to him.

Before you start
1.-Admin rights on your b0x. You'll need access to the registry, so if your non-admin rights allow you to fiddle with things in there, have at it.
2.-The Windows NT / Win2k resource kit. It's something like 10 MiB and all you need are two teensy programs, srvany.exe and instsrv.exe. You can download them from places other than Microsoft but I cannot guarantee that they're real. I've uploaded copy of each onto Beansprout's uploader and they should work becasue I've used them before. Here's instsrv.exe and srvany.exe
3.-A copy of FahMon set up with your client. You can do the setup later but you might as well do it now.

The Set-Up
Aight, you've got all that jazz and FahMon appears to be working. Kill FahMon so it doesn't get annoyerd if you try to move anything.

Note where the FahMon directory is located.

In the directory where you put the Resource Kit you'll see two programs: INSTSRV.EXE and SRVANY.EXE. Move or copy those two to the directory that contains FahMon.exe.

Get Messy
For my examples I have my FahMon.exe located in C:\Fold\fahmon. If yours is located in a different directory you'll just sue that path instead of mine. Letter case does not matter but I've used it so my writing is prettier.

It's time to get your hands dirty. Click on Start then Run. Type cmd then hit enter.
313.jpg

In this step you're going to change to the directory where FahMon.exe is located. For this we'll use the ?cd? command. Type:
Code:
CD C:\Fold\fahmon
318.jpg

Hit enter after you've typed that.

Now you're going to actually create the service. For this you're going to use instasrv.exe and srvany.exe. Type:
Code:
INSTSRV FahMon C:\Fold\fahmon\srvany.exe
Hit enter. Here INSTSRV is the command. You're telling it to make a service called ?FahMon? using the file in ?C:\Fold\fahmon\srvany.exe.

At this point it should look like this:
315.jpg

Registry junk
Minimize the command prompt. Go back to the run box and type regedit.

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Services>FahMon.
You'll notice that this is very close to the entry for the windows FAH service. In fact, you are probably still on the FAH key from when you set all that -advmethods and -forceasm junk when you set up Folding@Home in the beginning.

It should look like this:
320.jpg

Right-click on FahMon then click on New and then Key.
317.jpg

Man of Honour
Soldato
Type
Code:
Parameters
Press Return.

It should look like:
319.jpg

Click on Parameters. Now right-click once in the right-hand pane, then click on New and then String Value.
309.jpg

Type
Code:
AppDirectory
and press Return.

Double-click on AppDirectory and type
Code:
C:\Fold\fahmon
in the Value data box. Click on OK.
321.jpg

Right-click again and choose New - String Value again.

Type
Code:
Application
and press Return.

Double-click on Application and type
Code:
C:\Fold\fahmon\FahMon.exe
in the Value data box. Click on OK.
323.jpg

Did you get that all? You're done with the registry so you can close it out.

Starting it up
Go back to the command prompt. IF you closed it out by mistake it's not necessary for you to be in any particular directory. Type
Code:
CALL NET START ?FahMon?
322.jpg

That's all there is to it. If you want to look at your stuff just open up FahMon the old fashioned way. It won't care that there are two FahMon instances running.

Now it's running even when you're not logged in and I imagine that it's gathering benchmarks as it goes though I haven't tested this. You could probably leave your machine alone forever and you'd still have FahMon keeping benchmarks for you. It takes me about a minute to do this even though it seems like a lot. I suppose if I was doing a lot of them I'd want to make it automagic but I'm fine doing it manually.

Soldato
bah, couldnt leave my machines off, just doesnt feel right, gonna make a temp cat5 cable going to the cellar of the house and dump my comps there for 2 weeks :D

Muhhahhahahahhaha *insert random, mad, power hungry comment here*

Soldato
Mines surviving very well indeed in the heat. The worst i had was:
Room temp: 29
Cpu: 48
And its quiet too.

Unfortunately it makes the room almost uninhabitable, and i have to have the fan on making my efforts in silencing it rather pointless... it survives in the heat better than me!

Time to embark on my peltier watercooling airconditioning project perhaps. I could just buy one but that would be easy... ;)
I'll watercool both sides of a pelt, and put one radiator outside the room and one inside... been keen to play with watercooling for a while but i don't want it anywhere near my expensive components. Just need to pick up some low cost watercooling gear if i can find any. Should be fun.

Associate
Yup mine isn't bad either. Worst my readout has been during the day is about 48. I'm aware that my board undertemps, but even if you add 10 degs, 58 isn't all that bad for 100% load. I do have a mother of a heatsink/bunch of fans on it though. And the northwood tends to be fairly good with temps.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Talking of heat, my shiny new X2 3800 has failed me :(

I asked one of my buddies to take a look along and try rebooting it. He reported back saying he'd done it 3 times but it would lock up after 15-20 minutes.
He said that the plumbers had finally been to install a new gas boiler after over a year of problems with the hot water and the place was like an oven.

He asked if there was anything he could try so I e-mailed him with detailed instructions on how to step back the overclock - dunno if he'll have the bottle though as the only time he's seen the bios on a PC is when he's been in the room when I've been messing around in mine. He asked what I was doing at the time so I explained that this was the bios and I was tweaking my overclock and gave him a brief explanation as to what I meant - the glazed eyes told me it was time to stop :D

I also asked him to switch off the bloody central heating. Damn plumbers should have known to turn it off when they fitted the new boiler :mad:

Stan :)

Back
Top Bottom