Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 2nd June 2006

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
money1ox.png

These parts would make for a killer overclocker. All it needs is a PSU and a hard disk.

I'll see if I can trade down on the mobo and get it all in for less than 300 quid.

The non-premium P5WD2 is a bit cheaper (£119 inc vat).

Last edited:
Soldato
That board is way to expensive. You can get very good asrock boards for next to nothing.
This one is £40
This one is £52
This one is £31
Not sure which chipsets overclock well, would have to do a little reaserch.

If i were you i wouldn't bother with a cd drive, borrow one from your main system.
Tagan psu is way to expensive, a 400w fsp would do fine for £30
No need for a case, £27 for a 40gb maxtor hdd and thats it. Same cpu and ram.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Good call on the FSP. I just realized that I posted the same spec twice. :o

Oh well, I had a Tagan PSU and an 80 GiB HDD for 27 GBP from this week only along with an i955 mobo for 65 GBP from this week only. I too am not sure which chipsets are the best clockers though I assume the newer ones are better becasue they are on a smaller fab process.

EDIT: more good news on the Intel front? http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=a9bSLIkNBj4M

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah cpu prices are going to be dropping like a stone very soon.
Netburst because there are massive inventories of them that need to be cleared before conroe and K8 to keep competative with conroe.
An excellent time to buy a netburst folding machine as thats about the only thing they are good for.

Edit: I've just spotted a 172x58mm panaflo industrial fan with 120cfm at 12v and i reckon it would fit in my case... what do you think?
It would give the nexus a run for its money on the noise/cfm front... and it should be quiet at 5v
240cfm at 24v but i'm not sure how i would get 24v.

Edit2: Its started happening on the amd front it seems...

Last edited:
Soldato
Joe42 said:
That board is way to expensive. You can get very good asrock boards for next to nothing.
This one is £40
This one is £52
This one is £31
Not sure which chipsets overclock well, would have to do a little reaserch.

If i were you i wouldn't bother with a cd drive, borrow one from your main system.
Tagan psu is way to expensive, a 400w fsp would do fine for £30
No need for a case, £27 for a 40gb maxtor hdd and thats it. Same cpu and ram.

the fps epsilon's are very stable but a bit loud, i have found the blue storms to be pants and loud.

Permabanned
added a 3000+ 64 to the cause, only cost me £100 to make , 70 for cpu, 27 for memory. Had an old 8.4gig hdd, 2meg pci gfx and a PSU and i ordered a asrock mobo by accident the other day so thought Id make it into a new cruncher. I will get overclocking as soon as its done a unit of folding.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I've installed Windows Vista Beta 2 (it's free by the way, go download it and ask MS for a CD key). The first thing I did was try to get FAH working in it. The built-in service installer definitely doesn't work. It does, however, still crunch but you have to have the commende window open all the time.

EDIT: Rats! I've posted new info in the old news thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
I've installed Windows Vista Beta 2 (it's free by the way, go download it and ask MS for a CD key). The first thing I did was try to get FAH working in it. The built-in service installer definitely doesn't work. It does, however, still crunch but you have to have the commende window open all the time.
I didn't bother trying to install FAH yesterday after having read this yesterday but after all the rest of my luck (i.e. not having any problems with Vista) I thgought I'd give it a go. I used the 5.04 client for XP and just set it up as you would on XP. Everything worked flawlessly so I'm now crunching away on Vista. At this rate I won't need XP for anything. Piccy:

Something was using 30% CPU there but I've just checked and FAH is getting it nearly all now so all's good :). I'm just wondering why it didn't work for you Billy though :confused:

Back
Top Bottom