Folding plans to test for Covid-19

PDW

PDW

Associate
There is no preference you can set just to get C-19 work or any specific type at Rosetta.
I assume the Boinc server scheduler will send out work with shorter deadlines first when it has them so if you keep running it you should get some.
You can reduce the target run time for each work unit in your account preferences, the default is 8 hours, the lowest is 1 hour. It is just a guideline so doesn't mean all work units stick to it. If you are turning work units over more quickly you will be taking more frequent bites of the queue of scheduled work.

Having said that the scientists do recommend that longer run times are more helpful.
What you set is up to you though, there is a preference for it.

Man of Honour
Thanks, well 48 threads of a Threadripper has to be doing something good.
GPU is folding at the moment although not much WU coming for that.

PDW

PDW

Associate
One thing to check for Rosetta is that sometimes work units get stuck downloading (visible in the Transfer tab), it has been happening for months now.
If you see them then just abort the download for that WU, that marks them as Download Failed and they should be cleared out automatically next time the client contacts the server. Otherwise they will sit trying to download until they eventually time out and get aborted for not having been started in time and may possibly block you from receiving enough work to keep all your threads busy.

If you, or anyone here gets the Predictor of the Day, I'll let you know :)

Man of Honour
What temperature is your CPU running at with your cooling setup?
It's sat just below 75 at the moment with the 2080 Ti in the same loop working on something else (that's 49 degrees).

My bottom most rad is quite thin and the fans are old (Skythe I think?) so I think there's improvements to be made but it's all working fine and I'm lazy!

Associate
I was worried because mine shot up 83 with fans spinning hard, this with an AIO and 360mm rad, 6 radiator fans in push-pull either side pf the rad. Not sure I'm happy running it for extended periods at that temp so just got the 2060 folding at the moment.

Man of Honour
I was worried because mine shot up 83 with fans spinning hard, this with an AIO and 360mm rad, 6 radiator fans in push-pull either side pf the rad. Not sure I'm happy running it for extended periods at that temp so just got the 2060 folding at the moment.
My fans are on medium, but that's due to my third NVMe which sticks out from the board with no heatsink. It's back to Rosetta now as there's no folding WU and with my GPU now at idle it's dropped to 62 degrees. What OC/voltage are you running? Mine's 4.3 GHz all core with voltage at 1.275. I found PBO likes to use more power for a lesser overclock.

Soldato
Cant you use Ryzen Master/Afterburner to knock down the clocks?

I'm currently optimising my 8600K, usual clocks/volts are 4.9/1.3V but under FAH that uses 150W+.
Dropped down to 3.9/920mv and 65W and I'm at 80% performance for 43% the power...!

This isn't something you need to go full out on, dropping the clocks and voltages accordingly saves a ton of power..!

Man of Honour
Cant you use Ryzen Master/Afterburner to knock down the clocks?

I'm currently optimising my 8600K, usual clocks/volts are 4.9/1.3V but under FAH that uses 150W+.
Dropped down to 3.9/920mv and 65W and I'm at 80% performance for 43% the power...!

This isn't something you need to go full out on, dropping the clocks and voltages accordingly saves a ton of power..!
To be honest I don't know much about Ryzen overclocking so I guess I could run something like 4 GHz all core for a lot less power but I'd have to play with the voltages. I used to use an 8086k so I'm more au fait with Intel.

Man of Honour
It’s still silicon, and hence it has a frequency vs voltage curve.

Drop it down to 3.8 and 95% of the normal Vcore and work from there. :)
3.8 GHz and 1.05V, using just over 100W compared to 180W+ before. It will run below that voltage but it doesn't feel as stable. Temps are sat around 55-60 for the CPU and 45-50 for the GPU when both at full load. The bloody chipset fan is going nuts though, suddenly the thought of a £1000 motherboard with a full block doesn't seem so silly.

Soldato
That’s much better.

Might be worth dropping the CPU down one more bin to 3.7/1V and see.

Have you done the GPU too?

I’ve dropped My RX580 from 1350/1.3V to 1100/925mv and again halved the power usage.

Man of Honour
That’s much better.

Might be worth dropping the CPU down one more bin to 3.7/1V and see.

Have you done the GPU too?

I’ve dropped My RX580 from 1350/1.3V to 1100/925mv and again halved the power usage.

Now 3.7 GHz/1V and 85W. GPU now 1500 MHz down from 2050 MHz to 1515 MHz and power down from 290W+ to 180W.

Back
Top Bottom