Football and the Coronavirus

Man of Honour
I don't see why it would be stopped, Leicester were still allowed to play at home when the city was locked down and the regular testing/bubbles allows them to avoid following all the rules.

Soldato
So did a pawpaw and a goat, the tests have a false positive rate.. is he actually ill at all? people talk about testing positive as if it's a cancer diagnosis.
Your still positive mate be it with symptoms or not and can easily spread it.

The more you spread it they more people die from it, the more things need to be locked down and the more people's jobs get lost etc etc.

The after effects of this virus is not to be dismissed.

Look at the football. Many who work in and around stadiums have lost there jobs.

Bonkers this pandemic is

Don
or more likely no one is paying for it so they may as well not bother
Tbf I think the reputaton issue is probably true. They're not making money out of the PPV games, it's all going to the clubs. If PPV gets scrapped then what happens next though? The whole point of PPV and the price as it was is because Sky & BT don't want the value of their contracted games being watered down and the PL didn't want to give games away for free. It would be a big turnaround for them to go back to making these games free to air again.

Soldato
Tbf I think the reputaton issue is probably true. They're not making money out of the PPV games, it's all going to the clubs. If PPV gets scrapped then what happens next though? The whole point of PPV and the price as it was is because Sky & BT don't want the value of their contracted games being watered down and the PL didn't want to give games away for free. It would be a big turnaround for them to go back to making these games free to air again.
They should have offered the extra games to sky,bt and Amazon the rights to buy them

That way least people who subscribe to said services aren't paying extra

The issue they have now is that PPV isnt working as we all know realistically how people are watching it

Also they created the issue in a way by giving them for free last season so now people expect it again

My issue is if it stays as PPV is the fee itself I feel it's just too steep. £5 I wouldn't mind

Soldato
The other aspect to PPV to consider - it's not in their interest to make it too appealing long term - when they can, they'll want everyone going back to stadiums, they're no doubt worried about future backlash if they provided £5 PPVs now and then took them away again once crowds are allowed. Not many will be too upset at 'losing' £15 PPVs though, once they revert to 'Stadium is open, buy a ticket or don't watch'.

Don
Yep, this is why the PL never wanted to broadcast these games to begin with and only done it to convince the government to allow them back asap. These extra games have little to no financial value to the League or broadcasters and neither wants these games being made free - the PL because they don't want to give anything away for free and broadcasters because it waters down the value of their own games.

The PL just needs to sort its own streaming service out. I would quite happily pay a couple of hundred a year for every game, some decent pundits and all games in 4K.

It's not going to happen anytime soon but we can live in hope.

The problem with this sort of service, in the UK, is that it won't bring in the same money as they get from Sky & BT. At the moment the PL earns around £1.7bn per year for the UK rights. For the PL to generate the same revenue they'd have to get 8.5m subscribers at £200 per year but once you factor in the costs of running this set-up, they'd probably need to hit 10m just to earn the same as they are now. Not only is 10m not realistic but they'd want to make significantly more than they currently do to make all the extra work worthwhile.

The value in this service is overseas. When this idea was floated around a year ago it was reported that approx 100m people pay for PL coverage each year. If they can get even half of that 100m to pay £100 per year, that's £5bn per year in revenue for the League, up from around £1.3bn now. Our only hope in the UK is that this idea flies overseas and they're making so much that they accept a small loss in the UK just to keep us happy.
They should have offered the extra games to sky,bt and Amazon the rights to buy them
How many extra subscribers will Sky or BT get if they buy the rights to Burnley vs x or West Brom vs x? They're not going to pay out for something that won't bring them any extra income. These games have little value, which is why they weren't sold to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom