Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
Surprised we got to this stage without more postponements, hope we don’t start seeing more.
Me too, looks like it's starting to rise within clubs now maybe it's due to more accurate testing or maybe it's the new strain but it's looking ominous for both football and everyone else.

Wonder if the Euro comps will have to be postponed or cancelled altogether and maybe the Euro's in the summer if this growth carries on, be strange if the Euro's have to be played behind closed doors as if you think of the money invested in bidding/hosting the events and no fans so little money can be recouped.

Soldato
Not sure that squad size compensates for the disruption that having a congested fixture list brings.

with a big enough squad individual players can still only play 1 or 2 games a week. What's the issue? That you can't field the same squad every game? With the quality of that squad? Oh boo hoo. my heart bleeds.

Associate
with a big enough squad individual players can still only play 1 or 2 games a week. What's the issue? That you can't field the same squad every game? With the quality of that squad? Oh boo hoo. my heart bleeds.
They're not doing that we'll (for a big club) with a full complement any chance of a top 4 will disappear if they have to chop and change. Most of all they need De Bruyne to play every game - let's see how he copes with playing 90 minutes 3 or 4 times a week.

Associate
Each team has a PL squad of 25 players, plus the under-21s so I don't think they're squad size is going to be particularly different to anyone else's? Unless I'm mistaken on the rules.

Associate
Each team has a PL squad of 25 players, plus the under-21s so I don't think they're squad size is going to be particularly different to anyone else's? Unless I'm mistaken on the rules.
Now you mention it I seem to remember hearing something similar.

But even if they have a squad big enough to send a completely different 18 for alternating games they've only got one Pep to prepare them for the upcoming game or debrief them about the last game.

fez

fez

Caporegime
COVID is currently rampant and football players are idiots at the best of times so im amazed more of them haven't caught it. Few weeks off getting paid 100-200k/week? Could be worse.

Caporegime
You would think footballers would be highly insensitive to viral infections, particularly ones that the whole world has been shut down for 9mths over. How do they not know they have it outside of testing? and if it's so tame that they're perfectly normal outside of a test then why even shut matches down? according to the NHS's own figures it's mostly old people in danger from it as they are any other flu. I don't think there are many footballers in the EFL over 70.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
You would think footballers would be highly insensitive to viral infections, particularly ones that the whole world has been shut down for 9mths over. How do they not know they have it outside of testing? and if it's so tame that they're perfectly normal outside of a test then why even shut matches down? according to the NHS's own figures it's mostly old people in danger from it as they are any other flu. I don't think there are many footballers in the EFL over 70.

Because plenty of people do have serious health issues when they catch COVID. Very few young and healthy people die from catching it but there are plenty of stories of very fit and healthy people in their 20s suffering for months and months after having it.

Back
Top Bottom