Football and the Coronavirus

Soldato
What are your thoughts on the story?

my thoughts are that people should t be congregating, but they are and do. Football fans or not. Most are reasonably well behaved, but as always there are ****heads.

football fans and people from Liverpool get an unfair amount of stick in general so that needs to be factored into any analysis of the media coverage.

as it turns out, the lad with the fireworks was an out of towner. And the mess that was left was cleaned up by football fans, not that this makes the two things right or less wrong, but does offer some context and alternative narrative than “look at those scousers being ****s”

Man of Honour
Having watched a couple of games on BT Sport I'm convinced their crowd noise is better than Sky. Seems to have less of a delay (Sky is ridiculous with people cheering a goal half an hour after it was scored) and just feels a bit richer, better team-specific chants etc.

Comparisons with Glastonbury I don't think make sense, remember that at Glasto people are literally living there for 5 days, it's not like they have homes to go to, 99% of meals will be bought on site and come with accompanying rubbish rather than being able to make them at home. So you're talking over half a million meals a day even before you consider snacks, drinks etc.
Also the number of bins is a bit misleading because you can have as many bins as you want but if they are in the wrong place it doesn't help much. A common issue is bins literally overflowing in some areas (e.g. high traffic thoroughfares with eateries like between Pyramid and Other Stage), you get mounds of rubbish around them because there just simply isn't the bin volume to cope with it.
That said, of course Glastonbury has a litter problem, walk past one of the stages in the early hours and you can hear constant scrunching underfoot. It's one of the reasons they have clean-up crews out every morning.

Man of Honour
So how does Leicester's local lockdown work with football?

Surely the players and staff are not allowed to leave their homes based on the guidance? Or will they get a special exemption due to the amount of testing the PL are doing?

Man of Honour
Depends where they live I guess, but I assume due to testing they can get exemptions in the same way they already had exemptions from other nationwide lockdown conditions.

Associate
Being a Wigan Athletic fan I knew this was going to happen at some point regardless of the pandemic.
The company that bought Wigan originally from Whelan "International Entertainment Corporation" was after a quick buck hoping Wigan would return to the Premiership so they could cash in, ICE had no intention of investing into the club they just wanted the Premiership money, but with no investment comes no promotion.... so they decide to sell it on to some guy called Au Yeung Wai Kay, 4 weeks later Wigan goes into administration "something very dodgy going on here", and why the football league allowed this takeover to happen is anyone guess.

Soldato
presumably because they were too busy looking into Saudi Arabia's takeover of Newcastle and didn't have enough resources left over?

Man of Honour
The Athletic are claiming that IFAB are going to announce an extension to the 5 subs rule for all of next season. The justification being that players will be playing a congested season with no real break.

Personally I like the rule as it gives managers and teams more flexibility, however I can sympathise with the fact that it disadvantages smaller teams with small squads.

Soldato
that's BS. Certainly after Christmas it seems something of a joke. Plus the players did have a break. They just had it slightly earlier. I also note that without the winter break they'd all have been 2 games further in before lockdown and less congested now. The game doesn't need 5 subs.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Definitely gives the big clubs a big advantage. City have basically a second string that would finish fairly high up the table and they can rotate half of their outfield in a match. If clubs feel the games are too much they should just rotate their squads a bit more.

Man of Honour
One of things I've liked about Project Restart is regular EPL games typically twice a week, without too much disruption from cup games etc. I know we've got FA Cup at the weekend but because more midweek days are being utilised it keeps the cadence high. Makes a nice change from normal where you sometimes have like 10 days with no games.

Soldato
It’s likely because a lot of footballers have been on breaks etc. Once the season is underway, I can imagine it will tail off.

The general public however... can see there being a few crowd games in Oct before it goes back to empty stadiums due to the time of year and a second wave.

Soldato
Reports that mason greenwood and phil foden were having icelandic birds back to the hotel after the game

Oh dear corona bubble what bubblel

southgates gonna get roasted in his lunchtime press brief

Soldato
Reports that mason greenwood and phil foden were having icelandic birds back to the hotel after the game

Oh dear corona bubble what bubblel

southgates gonna get roasted in his lunchtime press brief

hopefully roasted in a different way to those icelandic girls?

Back
Top Bottom