Football and the Coronavirus

Man of Honour
Southgate described them as "naive" - whilst I think it is a bit more than that, it's also a very apt description. This Icelandic model has seen them coming a [thousand] mile off, she's probably been a big fish in a small fjord but not much international profile. Now with this publicity she's probably tripled her TikSnapGram following overnight.

He's not married.

He's just a silly kid who knocked his first **** up at 18. I'm sure he loves his child but the chances of a footballer that young staying together with his profile, zero. Same with Greenwood he looks about 14 with his stick thin arms. It's like an episode of the inbetweeners. I agree there should be bans from international football, but it's just boys being boys. Pep might see it differently losing his mother to covid.
My mistake. I've commented before that I've never really understood why some high profile footballers get shacked up at a young age; leaving aside the Covid piece this is a good example of the sort of thing I'd expect young internationals to be doing, travel around having some fun with the endless stream of talent queuing up to spend time with them. Then maybe reach a point later in their career where they want to settle down and build a family etc with someone special. Obviously you will have the odd one that meets the love of their life early but the 'opportunity cost' of that is quite high compared to your average guy on the street who doesn't have hundreds of girls to choose from.

I've not seen the clip is it that bad? I'd read they just went back to the room and were talking. Is there more going on? (not that it would surprise me if there was tbh)
To quote one of the girls about what they are coming to the hotel for "What do you think bro?" Obviously the girls haven't posted a vid of themselves legs akimbo, they just wanted to surreptitiously get proof they were there so they can cash in after the event.
And let's be honest here - they aren't going to all the trouble of paying someone to smuggle these girls into the hotel, go to a room and sit around having a chat are they? Once they are a room with Icelandic models, no U21 bloke is going to say "ok girls get up off your knees and put some clothes on".

Last edited:
Associate
I've got a couple of question about Covid and Football. Hope someone knows the answer.

My first thought about attending games was it's outdoors so not as high risk as say going to the pub or a resturant. However, it's not truely outdoors in the way that a park or a beach is outdoors; it's kind of semi-enclosed.
So, does anyone have any idea about how this migh impact risk? I don't know how this would be modeled except perhaps based on previous virus outbreaks.

Second, while social distancing could be relatively easy to maintain in the stands, there could be some mingling on entrances, exits and when buying food, drink, programmes, merchandise etc. But much of this could be quite brief and we were told that contact under 15 minutes are less likely/unlikely to spread infection. Again any ideas on what the impact of mingling for short periods might be?

I realise unless you're an epidemiologist you may well be unalbe tooffer anything more than an educated guess, but I'd still like to hear people's thoughts.

Associate
Crowds ain’t coming back in October, no chance. Will be lucky if the footballs not stopped completely at this rate.

I'll be suprised if there's crowds before the end of the year (except perhaps small crowds at test events). There may not be fans back this season. If so expect many clubs to go to the wall.

Associate
Next year is probably when crowds will come back here, the German, Dutch and French leagues seem to have some level of crowds from what I've seen but it was maybe a few thousand at best.

Man of Honour
I think they will keep elite football going. They had to stop it before because they had understandably had no strategy predefined on how to operate in a pandemic, bio-secure bubbles etc etc. They could play behind closed doors but they wouldn't know how to keep players and staff safe.

As for the question I think it comes down to how many fans you have in the stadium. The 'mingling' you describe can be restricted more easily with less fans. With anything approaching normal or even half normal levels of attendance it would get extremely difficult, even queuing for turnstiles would be a nightmare because of thousands of other people milling about.

Don
? I think we will be lucky if football is going in 6 weeks time.
I'd be very surprised if we see football shut down again. They already have the protocols in place and have proven that it can operate safely while the infection rates and deaths were far higher than we're expecting to see again.

Associate
HangTime, agree about elite (read Premiership) football, not least because the TV money makes gate money as a percentage of total income less significant. Below the top level gate money becomes crucial, there can't be many clubs that could breakeven on half full grounds.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Given the Orient manager knew about multiple illnesses within the club before their match on Saturday, he along with whoever was involved should be fined and Orient docked points. If it puts them out of business in the long run, so be it.

Every club, including players, managers and staff has a duty of care to do as much as possible to keep the virus from spreading and Orient failed spectacularly and have now put the friends and family of the Mansfield players at risk.

Soldato
I don’t think it’ll be canned but the amount of contact players have with each other off the ball, shaking hands, fist bumps, spitting, they need to cut it out. It’s ridiculous.

Chris Wilder went round and shook everyone’s hand on the first game they had back at the end of the last season for example. They’re just stupid.

Back
Top Bottom