Football Manager 2021

Soldato
Don't have Gamepass but it's wishlisted on Steam so I'll watch out for a sale. It's a shame they don't sell the previous versions slightly cheaper; once the new one comes out, they seem to get withdrawn.

Associate
Sorry to bump, but I really need a new footie management game. My most up to date is CM from 2010 or thereabouts and I tried to revive the old Fifa Soccer Manager from 1997, but while it runs for a bit and I could play a match it crashes to a black box when the match finished. I see this is still going for £40 on Steam (haven't checked key sites) which is a bit steep (IMHO). So is it worth the money or better off waiting for a sale, not that these games ever seem to go on sale?

As it doesn't seem you are too fussed about having the 'latest' version, I would recommend Football Manager 2020. I thought that was an excellent iteration, one of the strongest in the series, and it's less than £10 on Amazon. You can also download a data update via e.g. SortItOutSi/FMScout to bring the squads more in line.

Slightly biased here as I played FM20 far more than I have FM21 so far, but if you are not a hardcore player then it's a good £££ saver.

Soldato
CM01/02 looks interesting, for the laptop anyway so I’ll give that a go definitely. Can’t complain for free!
In case you didn't realise, Football Manager 21 has a demo.

You get the first six months of the season before it locks and progress carries over if you purchase the full version.

Soldato
Must admit this thread piqued my interest and I did the old Gamepass/Ultimate conversion trick to get it. 3 years of Ultimate for £69 is not too shabby at all.

Anyway, started the game unemployed with no coaching badges or football reputation and Oldham were the first club desperate enough to offer me a job. Wish me luck! :D

Soldato
Must admit this thread piqued my interest and I did the old Gamepass/Ultimate conversion trick to get it. 3 years of Ultimate for £69 is not too shabby at all.

Anyway, started the game unemployed with no coaching badges or football reputation and Oldham were the first club desperate enough to offer me a job. Wish me luck! :D
Oh dear what have the Latics let themselves in for!?!

Soldato
What tactics are people using in this game?

I've been trying all the tactics I can find online.

The best one for me is one called Parisienne Walkways.

But as you can imagine once you start experimenting with tactics you can't stop. Just so many out there.

But this one is my go to atm as it gives me the best results.

Associate
What tactics are people using in this game?

I've been trying all the tactics I can find online.

The best one for me is one called Parisienne Walkways.

But as you can imagine once you start experimenting with tactics you can't stop. Just so many out there.

But this one is my go to atm as it gives me the best results.

Best plug and play tactics I've found for FM21 are Phoenix by Magician (a quick google should link you to the tactics)

Soldato
With tactics being brought up when joining a new club do you guys choose a formation and get/pick players to fit or do you put the players first and try and find a formation to fit the players?

Associate
Worth mentioning all of the best tactics so far on FM21 are strikerless i.e. you play two attacking midfielders with Shadow Striker role - ideal player for this position would be a Striker who can also play AM C i.e. Messi / Aguero / Dybala. That said you can retrain most strikers with decent versatility to play as AM C Shadow Striker.

The tacticians have found a flaw in the match engine and have exploited it by playing strikerless which is a bit sad really!

Soldato
Worth mentioning all of the best tactics so far on FM21 are strikerless i.e. you play two attacking midfielders with Shadow Striker role - ideal player for this position would be a Striker who can also play AM C i.e. Messi / Aguero / Dybala. That said you can retrain most strikers with decent versatility to play as AM C Shadow Striker.

The tacticians have found a flaw in the match engine and have exploited it by playing strikerless which is a bit sad really!

I can't do that as it takes away the realism side of things for me.

Associate
I can't do that as it takes away the realism side of things for me.
Totally agree which is why I said it's sad they've exploited a flaw in the match engine. Intriguing nontheless - the match engine in the greatest football management simulation since the dawn of time is still so bad that the most effective tactic is to play with no strikers. The joys of being a computer game programmer...

Associate
Strikerless do work well this year, but to be fair it is fairly easy this year to create something simple and win.

I am currently 3rd season with Newcastle. Finished 4th in the first season and 2nd last year - will give the title challenge a real good go this year. All with a very basic 4-2-3-1.

I am sure strikerless works really well, but there is no need to use it.

Back
Top Bottom