For the gym rats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah though people rely on shakes too easily, but I admit they are an easy get out of jail card.

I'm lucky in that I can afford £60 or so on food for myself per week (joys of living alone!). And in spite of being up at 5am every day and not leaving work till 530-6pm I still manage to eat well. It's about being organised and making the efforts. I do use shakes from time to time, certainly when I'm under pressure of social life gets in the way, but I don't rely on them as a staple part of my diet. :)

Do you have an example of roughly what you get through in food per week?

Just curious as since I haven't used any shakes for a while, my food shop ends up not far off the £100 per week mark :eek:

Associate
just wondering you guys, how many press ups can you do, i mean proper ones, ie arms sholder wide, coming down to floor( fist height) then back up.

i got 75 in 2 min:) wonder if those muscles can do anything)

Soldato
just wondering you guys, how many press ups can you do, i mean proper ones, ie arms sholder wide, coming down to floor( fist height) then back up.

i got 75 in 2 min:) wonder if those muscles can do anything)

If you're building muscle, press ups should only be used after a few sets of heavy lifting. Usually done until failure just to squeeze out whatever is left in your muscles.

Man of Honour
Do you have an example of roughly what you get through in food per week?

Just curious as since I haven't used any shakes for a while, my food shop ends up not far off the £100 per week mark :eek:

That was without things like soap, pharmaceuticals, cleaners and so on...

I eat a couple of steaks, at least 2 fish portions, a whole chicken, some chicken breasts, lamb steaks, minced lamb, minced beef a week, but I also have lazy days when I just eat some tinned tuna, mackerel, pasta, soups, etc... dare I even say, some protein shakes!! I try and keep my protein intake over 200g per day, so if I struggle I will use shakes, but I don't rely on them. :)

Associate
That was without things like soap, pharmaceuticals, cleaners and so on...

I eat a couple of steaks, at least 2 fish portions, a whole chicken, some chicken breasts, lamb steaks, minced lamb, minced beef a week, but I also have lazy days when I just eat some tinned tuna, mackerel, pasta, soups, etc... dare I even say, some protein shakes!! I try and keep my protein intake over 200g per day, so if I struggle I will use shakes, but I don't rely on them. :)

I'm surprised you have a fair bit of minced meat per week as butchers are usually buggers around here with their mince. They add extras as i'm sure your fully aware to increase the amount of product but decrease the actual amount of meat and for sure they use the lowest quality available and keep it at fairly high prices. I'm sure you know what your doing though; i just prefer to buy my own meat and then mince it through my mincer if required ;)

Man of Honour
My butcher's pretty good and doesn't take the mick, I'm on 1st name terms with him and he always puts stuff aside for me, so I have no reasons to doubt him. I buy my eggs from him too. He's got really good quality stuff. I spend without fail a good £40 a week, and sometimes if i buy a leg of lamb or a nice bit of beef to roast he'll do me some good deals - I have no reason to distrust him. :) I love mince though it's so versatile and easy to cook.

Soldato
my food shop ends up not far off the £100 per week mark :eek:

:eek: i thought mine was bad at around 40/45...

My butcher's pretty good and doesn't take the mick, I'm on 1st name terms with him and he always puts stuff aside for me, so I have no reasons to doubt him. I buy my eggs from him too. He's got really good quality stuff. I spend without fail a good £40 a week, and sometimes if i buy a leg of lamb or a nice bit of beef to roast he'll do me some good deals - I have no reason to distrust him. :) I love mince though it's so versatile and easy to cook.

I love going to my butcher, meat always tastes better than supermarket meat... i pretty much live off him and the fruit/veg shop.

have to say though... never cooked mince, might give it a go with some spaghetti

Associate
well done. anything interesting to add to the thread?

actually yes, i think i a pretty dam fit person. so could probally give some good advise on getting fit.

can you run 3 miles in 21 mins? if yes, and faster nice one, how you do it, if no, then i can help you .:)

it been proven that bodybuilding ISNT the way to reduce fat, and seems lots of people here seem to think it is.

Body building only works the muscles under the skin/fat, and thus you can do crunches all day long and wont see any visable differance, best way to lose fat is though CV work, and the best exercise for losing fat is swimming, and i mean proper swimming not the stuff you see the fat birds do down the local:)

if you do CV then throw in muscle work you will lose fat, allthough on scales you wont see much differance muscle heavyer ect.

But if you do CV and muscle work within 2 months you can get some amazing results.

remember never to do muscle workouts ie wieghts the day after you did a hard session, sinse you wont gain anything only lose what you have gained in the previous day, tearing muscles first day then repair stronger the next:)

Transmission breaker
Don
Gym peeps!

After my first workout at the Gym (on Monday), I have developed some soreness today. Now, from what i have read, this is atrtributed to DOMS, and this means (well, to some anyway) that my muscles are repairing and getting bigger. Fully extending my arms at the elbow is quite painfull, moreso on my right than left.

The thing that gets me is, the soreness is on both of my arms, and at the base of the bicep near where it meets the elbow.

Is this sort of thing normal? I was intending to go to the Gym tonight to do some more stuff, should I not bother? I have a regular hockey training session tommorrow evening. which means that as I have a games on Sat and Sun I wont get a chance to train again really until Monday. (I like to try and leave rest days so I am not knackered for matches and dont injure myself)

Soldato
Changed my back work out slightly today. After reading up on shrug downs i was all for it, but further reading shows a danger of shoulder subluxations, and I already have labral tears so rulled that out.

At the end of my working sets (lateral pulldown), using the same weight I did a very slow and controlled set of 6, stretching right up as far as possible.

I also finished off on top of my workout with 2 sets for 10 reps of a slightly lower weight, again stretching right up, getting a nice big contraction keeping the muscle working for as long as possible. Felt good :) Can really feel it. One of those exercises that is best done slow I feel! I can feel it already in my back.

Finishing a back workout (having done chest and tricep isolation the day before) with a quick 10 minute arm superset of bicep curls and then tricep extensions 10 reps each, light weight, then repeated twice more.
And then the whole superset again twice more.

So its effectivly 60 reps, 30 bicep curls and 30 tricep extensions, alternating every ten reps. Then repeated twice more. Absolutely killer pump! Couldn't even close my hand enough to grip my water bottle!

Man of Honour
Gym peeps!

After my first workout at the Gym (on Monday), I have developed some soreness today. Now, from what i have read, this is atrtributed to DOMS, and this means (well, to some anyway) that my muscles are repairing and getting bigger. Fully extending my arms at the elbow is quite painfull, moreso on my right than left.

The thing that gets me is, the soreness is on both of my arms, and at the base of the bicep near where it meets the elbow.

Is this sort of thing normal? I was intending to go to the Gym tonight to do some more stuff, should I not bother? I have a regular hockey training session tommorrow evening. which means that as I have a games on Sat and Sun I wont get a chance to train again really until Monday. (I like to try and leave rest days so I am not knackered for matches and dont injure myself)

I get pain around there but only in one arm when I do skull crushers so I've taken them out of my routine as it doesnt feel like doms much more like slight tendonitos(sp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom