For those who like Biffy Clryo...

Soldato
Thanks for all the support chaps.

I think if I did rent out another lens it would be a fixed one, no zoom.

I'm pretty comfortable shooting with my 50mm, but I would like a bit more length really to just capture more of the body, and i'm not sure how far I will be from them.

I'll be in the photographers pit the site says.

Caporegime
I would get something like a 24/1.4 or 35/1.4.

Presume you are BETWEEN the crowd barrier and the stage and think of the kind of shots you need and

Single band member

and

Wide shot with the whole band

Shot from behind the stage with the crowd in the distance.

Presuming you are working with the focal length in FF.

Single band member - 85mm for shoulder half length. 50mm for full length

Entire band - 24 or 35mm

Of course, this is entirely dependant on the venue. I suggest you go to the sound check and check out the venue. Personally, if I am to turn on on the day unknown, I would take 35/85 combo.

So get the equivalent on crop, the difficulty is that there are no F/1.4 for that focal length on crop, unless you put the 24mm on the 40D, and a 50/1.4. I would suggest stay away from the F/1.8, that thing, nice as it is, hunts and hunts in low light.

Another note...use SPOT metering, on the artist's face.

Of course, I have never shot a gig before, so take that with a pinch of salt lol

Associate
Wide wont work 90% of the time, too much junk on stage that looks messy.

I tend to use my 70-200 2.8 a lot for nice tight headshots and body + guitar,

and yes spot meter in manual all the way.

Caporegime
This ^

Wish I was good enough!

So...

I got an email today...

I've been chosen to do the Plymouth date for this tour..

1 out of 8 people in the UK..

There is one photographer per date.

OMG How amazing !

You need to big yourself up more mate !! only a couple of posts ago you were wishing you were good enough, and you obviously are !

:D :D :D

Soldato
Cheers for all the support and advice chaps, appreciate it!

I must also say that I have a suspicion that there might of been an age factor in there as well - the news piece asked for young people, and when you mailed you had to put your age in.

I'm 17, few months from 18. So that might of been a sort of factor in it, or not!

Soldato
Congrats; look forward to the shots.

By coincidence, a friend of a friend has recently won a competition to go to Japan to shoot the redbull bboy competition (or similar), which I thought wasan amazing opportunity! Not sure whether he is a pro, but I know he's had fashion shoots published before.

Soldato
Errr... I got the shoot for the Tour in Hull!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~!

I never thought I'd get it when I send some of my work and website. I'm 24 and I told them honestly, this is like an opportunity I can only dream of. Honestly did not expect a reply!

Permabanned
Congrats!

We got offered this at uni but i didnt think my lens was quite up to it, from my experience my lens wont let in enough light to get good shots like gig photography without a tripod and iso 3200.

Soldato
Errr... I got the shoot for the Tour in Hull!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~!

I never thought I'd get it when I send some of my work and website. I'm 24 and I told them honestly, this is like an opportunity I can only dream of. Honestly did not expect a reply!

Hah! Awesome.

OcUK power.

Soldato
Hi5 !!!!!

Ray, you got it too?!

If so, we'll have 3 photogs from OcUK! Oh and in my excitement, I forgot to congrats Bucket! Woo hoo! I've had a look around for lenses to hire last night. Seems to me I'm little stuck for a faster, wider lens.

I managed to sell my Tamron 11-18mm, still not enough fund to get the Sigma 30mm f1.4, a lens I've been dying to get since selling my Olympus fit version back when I shot 4/3.

I've got the option to either hire a 24mm f1.4 II for quite a bit of money plus postage from LFH or I really stretch my current funds to get that Sigma 30mm f1.4 now from Kerso (£320 brand new AFAIK)

Just worried the 30mm may not be wide enough.

Definitely using my 85mm f1.8 for the tighter shots, my 18-50mm f2.8 with my flashgun sensor as AF assist is another possibility. Would that be 'enough'?

Bah, humbug. Why is my mum's birthday, anniversary and Christmas so darn close together!

Soldato
Congrats to you both, looks like it will be great fun! No pressure or anything but we're obviously expecting you to deliver the goods in a big way now... ;) :D

JJ, it's not the forum expectation that's worrying me, it's Biffy (and his team) that's giving me a little cold feet! I mean, hell yea, awesomeness x100 to doing the shoot but it's nerve wreaking x1000 knowing you're doing something this big.

Shooting for a friend's gig down at a local indie pub is one thing. Loving Biffy music and getting the opportunity to shoot them in action is a whole different level.

Soldato
Mr Jones, pre 'warning' as such - But I've shot some 'bigger' bands before, and there was always the rule of 'First 3 songs and no flash', the first 3 songs thing is an utter pain.

Personally hoping Biffy ditch it for this, but I'm not sure.

I think I'll be shooting with a 50 as thats what I know, along with hopefully something a bit wider.

I'm pretty worried that I'll just not get any good shots, hense why i'm being a bit cautious with lenses and stuff and trying to 'stick to what I know'.

Back
Top Bottom