For those who like Biffy Clryo...

Soldato
I know what you mean with sticking with 'usual lens'.

What's this first 3 song thing? I know about no flash, thus only using the flashgun as an AF-assist, works wonders during weddings.

Soldato
I know what you mean with sticking with 'usual lens'.

What's this first 3 song thing? I know about no flash, thus only using the flashgun as an AF-assist, works wonders during weddings.

When I've shot The King Blues, Get Cape Wear Cape Fly + a few others, the rule always was:

'You are allowed to photograph the first three songs of the set, with no flash.'

I don't know if Biffy will do that as well, I'd imagine it varies from band to band, but most of the 'majors' i've shot are the same. It's just a possibility that could happen.

P.S I'm about to email you about something!

OG

OG

Associate
OP
Wow I can't believe two people have been chosen just from this forum... and all because I made this thread out of good will :D
Awesome work chaps, such a good opportunity for you both! (I'm not jealous at all :p)

Soldato
Haha! That's awesome that the two of you have been picked! :D
It just goes to show you've gotta be in it to win it, major congrats to both of ya, great opportunity and I can't wait to see the results!

Caporegime
When I've shot The King Blues, Get Cape Wear Cape Fly + a few others, the rule always was:

'You are allowed to photograph the first three songs of the set, with no flash.'

I don't know if Biffy will do that as well, I'd imagine it varies from band to band, but most of the 'majors' i've shot are the same. It's just a possibility that could happen.

P.S I'm about to email you about something!

I think that is the rule for a LOT of gigs and events.

I had access to shoot the Radio DJ Mark Lamarr doing an interview/Q & A session in his book launch and I didn't know of that rule (5 mins). So I kept on shooting and all of the sudden I was pulled to the side and then asked to leave! lol I didn't what I had done wrong, no one had told me.

Soldato
Superb gents - congrats!!

Enjoy - As i said before Simon (lead singer) is a very very nice guy - I have no doubt that you will enjoy it, should be a good gig all round!!

I'm off to Glasgow next saturday night to see them, courtesy of Simons brother who i'm good pals with!!

Look forward to seeing some shots from it!!

Soldato
Guys, just wondering which is a more logical choice to go for;

I am looking at getting a second body, a Canon 400D is selling for between £150 to £200 and I thought if pairing it with my Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and pop a flash gun on it to help focus assist / pop flash in areas where I am allowed. My current Canon 40D will have the Canon 85mm f1.8, shooting between ISO1600 and ISO3200 to trump motion blur / camera shake for tighter shots.

I can push my body budget higher for a possible Canon 30D at nearer £300.

Or stick with getting my lust for the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and switch between this and the 85mm during the shoot for 'wide-ish' to close? (Possibly ignoring the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 due to the 'slower' focusing compared to the 2 primes, and slower apertures.

£320 us my absolute budget to push, thus a little dilemma.

Edit: Went with a Canon 400D at £160 as back up body. Will sell it on after use if I don't get on with it. Think my lens set up should be fine...

Last edited:
Associate
congrats guys!

I entered for the manc date (as I already have tickets for then), I wasnt expecting to win as I have not been doing photography for that long, and some of the work people have entered eg bucket is WAY better than the stuff i entered.

Soldato
Got another email today with confirmation that I was correct - First 3 songs in the pit.

Asked to try and capture the atmosphere etc as well, with the crowd and name in lights outside the venue (although I don't believe Pavilions do that.), people heading in etc.

They've asked for half a dozen or more sent over the day after as well, and to put in our credit and watermark etc.

All getting quite nervy now!

Soldato
Tonight's the night for me!

Anyone has any last min advise? I have learn from a fellow fan/gig photographer that Simon loves to hang around the stage left... so something to look out for Bucket.

Soldato
Tonight's the night for me!

Anyone has any last min advise? I have learn from a fellow fan/gig photographer that Simon loves to hang around the stage left... so something to look out for Bucket.

Yeah, take a look at the photos on the website already.

There's some poses that he constantly pulls off, especially one throwing his arm up in the air.

From what I know the first 3 songs are:

Captain
Blast

Might be good to listen to them and just see where it kicks off and goes mad so you can wait for the moment etc.

Check the Biffy forums to confirm that set list, though.

Associate
recently they have been doing That Golden Rule to start the show, I also remember Living Is A Problem being near the start, from that last few gigs ive been to.

Back
Top Bottom