Ford Focus New Engine £4000

Don
Care to expand?

They aren't the widespread liability that some people here make them out to be.

That article you've linked is in itself lumping together 2 separate issues that affect 2 different engines.

The 1.0 had an issue with a coolant pipe which caused overheating (which should by now have been fixed via recall)
The 1.6 had issues with an overheating cylinder head, potentially cracking and causing oil fires.

I've owned my 62 plate 1.0 Focus for 5 years and it's done over 60k miles - listening to some people here and you'd think it would have grenade'd itself 5 times over by now

Soldato
If a full engine replacement is required, surely you could save a lot at a salvage yard and get a decent local mechanic to fit it?

Maybe this is a good thing, any other quote you get will sound like a fantastic saving to that £4k!

Soldato
They aren't the widespread liability that some people here make them out to be.

That article you've linked is in itself lumping together 2 separate issues that affect 2 different engines.

The 1.0 had an issue with a coolant pipe which caused overheating (which should by now have been fixed via recall)
The 1.6 had issues with an overheating cylinder head, potentially cracking and causing oil fires.

I've owned my 62 plate 1.0 Focus for 5 years and it's done over 60k miles - listening to some people here and you'd think it would have grenade'd itself 5 times over by now
Right, but this is a literal thread where someones engine has overheated and blown the head gasket... so it seems relevant to talk about as Ford offered full cost repairs to remedy the situation.

Good to hear another "source: me" post on OCUK though :cry:

Soldato
Let's be honest, they've observed an oil leak of some sort, they can't check anything else it's all supposition.
If they suspect its over filled, check the oil level.

I assume its not over heating or anything

Soldato
They either done oil and filter change and forgot to put oil in and nackered it or if they were doing a coolant change for you they messed it up and cooked the engine witha air lock.

If it was me id want the car in same condition as i took it to them.
You obviously drove it to them so if it doesnt even make it back home then thats saying something.

In this case op is obviously clueless on cars in which case you dont take a car back to main dealer when its out of warranty. Pay the money and learn from your mistake.

Soldato
Don't these blow head gaskets for fun due to inadequate cooling plus dodgy pipes? Get them to itemise the quote so you can go to Ford directly.

I'd look into this.
Mrs engine went at 63k or so other week on a '63 plate 1.0 ecoboost.
"Engine gone" according to the generic garage it got towed to by AA.
We decided to take it to a Ford dealership as it appears a common issue with coolant getting into the engine if it hasn't been recalled.

Ford are paying 100% for a brand new engine/install this week.

Edit: cause was overheating and died pretty much instantly.

Last edited:
Soldato
That issue was for focus that used a plastic coolant pipe insted of rubber. Plastic went brittle with heat cycles and eventually cracked coolant leaked out and you join the rover k series club.

Don
Back
Top Bottom