Ford Focus New Engine £4000

bJN

bJN

Soldato
If it's in for an MOT only why are they messing around with the engine? Presumably you've not been having issues with it or asked them to diagnose anything? :confused:

Soldato
Main dealers are bonkers, took my ST220 to one a few years ago because a genuine part failed that I had fitted & their parts warranty covered labour to replace. It was a wishbone bush that had burst and taking it in meant I didn't have to get my hands dirty or pee around realigning the subframe myself & getting the wheel alignment re-done.

Whilst it was in they found a small coolant leak dripping under the car towards the front of the engine bay near the water pump, he reckoned it was the pump itself. They wanted to remove the water pump and all the pipework which requires removing the cam cover & upper intake manifold so that they could "properly investigate".

Not sure what the cost of labour was going to be but there is about £100 just in gaskets to replace there alone just to take a look.

I limped it home & just pulled the undertray off and there it was, a 6 inch pipe with a split, replacement cost me about a tenner with some generic coolant hose from a motor factor and 45 mins of my time (I think it took 5 mins to swap the pipe & 40 to get the tray off & on lol) and it's been 3 years, no issues. The official ford part is a full £180 pipe section, add 2-3 hours labour, replacement gaskets coolant etc, they'd have had my pants down for £400 - £500.

Take it somewhere else!!

Permabanned
Main dealers are bonkers, took my ST220 to one a few years ago because a genuine part failed that I had fitted & their parts warranty covered labour to replace. It was a wishbone bush that had burst and taking it in meant I didn't have to get my hands dirty or pee around realigning the subframe myself & getting the alignment re-done.

Whilst it was in they found a small coolant leak dripping under the car towards the front of the engine bay near the water pump, he reckoned it was the pump itself. They wanted to remove the water pump and all the pipework which requires removing the cam cover & upper intake manifold so that they could "properly investigate".

Not sure what the cost of labour was going to be but there is about £100 just in gaskets to replace there alone just to take a look.

I limped it home & just pulled the undertray off and there it was, a 6 inch pipe with a split, replacement cost me about a tenner with some generic coolant hose from a motor factor and 45 mins of my time (I think it took 5 mins to swap the pipe & 40 to get the tray off & on lol) and it's been 3 years, no issues. The official ford part is a full £180 pipe section, add 2-3 hours labour, replacement gaskets coolant etc, they'd have had my pants down for £400 - £500.

Take it somewhere else!!

under warranty then replacing all involved is all very well, as i guess some other parts will fail in the future too connected.

as a normal repair like the OP take it somewhere else and have someone else look at it.

Soldato
4 grand for a brand new engine fitted from main dealer is decent deal. As long as its a whole new engine and not just a new head and shortblock.
If it has new cams new valves new injectors and everything else new on it then yea.
But i suspect its just a new shortblock and head.

Soldato
Ah gotcha. Well belt replacement is due at 10 years and costs a fortune, so I'd be looking at selling.

I've emailed a local garage just to see the cost.

It's awkward, because if I traded in, I'd prob end up chucking in another £6/7k to get something else, but the actual job might only be around £1k and then I'm good to go for another 10 years.

Associate
OP
Update : local mechanics had a look.
Coolent system has been leaking slowly due to cracks in pipes. Like I said, we've not had any issues with it overheating .

There's oil where it shouldnt be but thinks it's from how they refilled during service because of where it is.

So he recommended replacing coolent system and seeing how it goes.

Couple of other things they stated would have apperntly have required opening up the engine which he doubts they would have done as part of a service given they highlighted the issues pre mot so that's all they would have done at that stage.

Thanks for everyone's input. Appreciated!

Caporegime
Update : local mechanics had a look.
Coolent system has been leaking slowly due to cracks in pipes. Like I said, we've not had any issues with it overheating .

There's oil where it shouldnt be but thinks it's from how they refilled during service because of where it is.

So he recommended replacing coolent system and seeing how it goes.

Couple of other things they stated would have apperntly have required opening up the engine which he doubts they would have done as part of a service given they highlighted the issues pre mot so that's all they would have done at that stage.

Thanks for everyone's input. Appreciated!
Check with Ford directly then as they’ve done a lot of warranty work on this engine as many have posted about above.

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRe...SCFdWlQyT3-nAlgfao2PYSdjMgODE1xdUVT.ito034605 Check Ford Etis for any recall work also to make sure it’s been done.

Associate
OP
Soldato
It was a service/mot with ford directly that originally flagged it up but will take a look at the link. Thanks
Have you checked all the other posts in this thread? You have a cooling problem that may have caused premature engine failure (or will cause it eventually) on a car that is known for this and Ford HQ are aware.

Back
Top Bottom