Ford Focus New Engine £4000

Soldato
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0L Recall
In March 2015, Ford notified owners of Ford Focus 1.0-litre petrol engine vehicles that there was a risk of the coolant hose failing at high temperatures on cars built between October 2011 and October 2013.

Associate
Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0L Recall
In March 2015, Ford notified owners of Ford Focus 1.0-litre petrol engine vehicles that there was a risk of the coolant hose failing at high temperatures on cars built between October 2011 and October 2013.
I had ford replace my engine because of this a few years ago. Took a lot of calls to then but eventually they replaced entire engine and paid for hire cars etc.

Man of Honour
Sounds like there's a known issue worth chasing down but as a general point I wouldn't pay £4k to repair a 2012 Focus Zetec 1.0, for that money you could replace it with something slightly newer/better spec and still have a few quid left over to pay for any maintenance that crops up.

Soldato
The whole cooling hose issues on the ecoboost is completely cured by replacing the old hoses with the facelift hoses, job done, problem goes away. The engines on these are good engines when you take that issue away, and completely ignore the cost of the timing belt replacement.

Associate
The whole cooling hose issues on the ecoboost is completely cured by replacing the old hoses with the facelift hoses, job done, problem goes away. The engines on these are good engines when you take that issue away, and completely ignore the cost of the timing belt replacement.

I’m considering a 1.0 Ecoboost in a focus mk3 and frankly getting very confused by the opinions about reliability - it’s either everything is fine now its an amazing engine vs avoid ecoboom. Wouldn’t this updated hose simply be preventative, but it wont reverse all the damage that’s been done over the years? So buying a used 1.0 is hugely risky even after the recall because there could be major damage such as the OPs which could emerge months/years later. I’m absolutely no expert, but just connecting the dots here. Honest John downgraded the focus mk3 due to this issue too.

Associate
think the op is overthinking this....he says it was a problem flagged up by ford on a mot test and they quoted 4000 pounds. so why not go back to the dealer and ask for it to be done under warranty?? if they say its broken ford will fix it under warranty simples...

unless we are missing a vital piece of information , i wouldnt want anyone to replace the cooling system it would give ford a reason to possibly throw the claim out surely?

Soldato
sounds a lot but main dearlers are expensive.

the engine on my Clio went and it cost me £1300 including a new clutch, all labour. But the engine was used and they fitted a new cambelt kit and other belts, fluids and so on.

4000 is one hell of a bill

Associate
All what damage done over the years?

It either overheats or it doesn't - there's no additive effect over time.

Are you a mechanic / ford engine technician?

There is a section in honest john which has a list of real life examples. For example:

20-1-2016: 2013 Fiesta 1.0 EcoBoost had water pump and coolant pipe replaced under warranty. Now, at 45 months old and 46,000 miles cylinder head gasket has failed. Ford dealer refuses any liability.

There are other cases where people have had the coolant pipe replaced, but the head gasket has still gone. There is tonnes of these things on the road which increases the amount of negative reports, but this engine is clearly problematic.

Don
Are you a mechanic / ford engine technician?

No but nor are the majority of other people posting about it on the internet. Owners who unfortunately have had problems are going to be far more vocal and emotional about it than anyone else.

2016 is 5 years ago, are there no more recent reports than that? Or is it a case that the majority of Cars are now relatively problem free (either due to the various recalls, being maintained better, or just luck?)

Soldato

No it doesn’t.
It goes far deeper than that. Many of these engines are boat anchors nothing more.

Take an eco boost equipped car to many UK mechanics out of warranty they will refuse to even look at it.

Soldato
Thing is, is the coolant hose and pump breaking because of too much heat to begin with? These things don't normally just fail on their own.

Ok they installed a more durable pipe and pump, but is the root issues still there. Ford isn't going to take engines to bits and fix them properly because it's Ford, not Toyota...

Indi mechanics refusing to touch them may be because they have done something with post-recall cars and then a few weeks later they blow up. The owner then blames the indi mechanic and Ford stonewall them.

Last edited:
Associate
Thing is, is the coolant hose and pump breaking because of too much heat to begin with? These things don't normally just fail on their own.

Ok they installed a more durable pipe and pump, but is the root issues still there. Ford isn't going to take engines to bits and fix them properly because it's Ford, not Toyota...

Indi mechanics refusing to touch them may be because they have done something with post-recall cars and then a few weeks later they blow up. The owner then blames the indi mechanic and Ford stonewall them.

This is my read of the situation too. I’ve been looking at a new cheap car for about £5k, and the focus 1.0 seems like decent value. But after seeing all the issues with it and the mega bills that it can throw up, I’m going to avoid. People tend to be buy expensive insured warranty products for BMWs and Merc’s as they can create huge bills due to complexity and high part costs, but nobody would expect to have the same problem with a cheap ford. I didn’t before researching the EcoBoost.

It’s a shame because the Focus blow the competition away from an agility point of view. The alternatives in the price price range is the Kia Ceed, Toyota Auris, both which are dull AF, but at least they won’t throw up scary £2k bills for no reason.

Associate
is there a problem with oil pumps on these as well noticed when looking on a/t and ebay a couple with oil lights on , stating they require pumps?

Soldato
is there a problem with oil pumps on these as well noticed when looking on a/t and ebay a couple with oil lights on , stating they require pumps?

Once the head gasket has gone, very few mechanics will touch them because they usually fail again.
It’s a bad design and they should be recalled.
It’s been swept under the carpet - avoid.

Back
Top Bottom