Ford Focus Servicing

Soldato
Hi all,

I need to get my 08 plate Focus Zetec Climate serviced. This will be its 5th service and I have just hit the 40k mark on it.

My local ford stealer has just quoted me £189 inc vat for this service. Is this reasonable or is it worth me shopping around?

I have always felt more comfortable with main stealer servicing, but starting to wonder now if its worth going elsewhere but having been stung for big £££ and rip off independents in the past it does make me wary.

Thoughts?

Associate
Sounds reasonable to me. Dealer service history always looks great too. You would most likely save going elsewhere but it wont be a fortune.

Don
What I'd do..

Buy a Ford oil filter, buy the right oil

Do it myself / get a friend to do it / take to cheap garage

At a guess, it's ~£25 in parts and about 5 minutes of actual 'work'

I've seen others on here recommend 'national tyres' for decent priced oil changes.

http://www.national.co.uk/oil-vehicle-search.aspx

For my car, they quote £47.70 for premium oil (Castrol Edge) or £34.20 for mid range oil (Castrol Magnatec)

That's including a filter, great price!

Last edited:
Soldato
Keeping it til it dies !

Do it yourself then, you know you are using the correct oil - or take it to somewhere that will let you use your own bought oil/filter so you just have a labour charge.

A basic service is literally an oil/filter change and a quick safety inspection.

Conversely I've noticed a lot of signs on garages locally offering services for suspiciously cheap prices.. makes me wonder what oil they use, or if they even change it at all...

Associate
Phone around, I was originally quoted 180 but got a quote for 150 which was price matched.

Edit - just seen the age. It's over 3 years old so you should be able to get the value service for 99. It's on the ford website.

Don
Do it yourself then, you know you are using the correct oil - or take it to somewhere that will let you use your own bought oil/filter so you just have a labour charge.

A basic service is literally an oil/filter change and a quick safety inspection.

Conversely I've noticed a lot of signs on garages locally offering services for suspiciously cheap prices.. makes me wonder what oil they use, or if they even change it at all...

They just buy it in vast quantities, also typically they'll point out any problem areas on your car, hoping you'll get the work done with them.

Back
Top Bottom