Foreign Films: Yeah proper ones with subtitles and everything!

Soldato
My wife got me into watching foreign movies, I was alway a bit a snob about them because I has to go to the effort of read subtitles but I got used to it and realised I was missing some great cinema.

These days I will still rather have a decent (not that, thats very important) dub but will watch films with subs without baulking, I really was missing some great cinema.

So what foreign films (not UK or US) movies have you watched and enjoyed.

My favs are

Manon de Source & Jean de Florette
Ameile
Cashern
Bad Education
Woman on Top
Loads of anime stuff

I have the 3 colours trilogy here too much I bought for the wife and I really want to see :)

MB

Associate
I said some of these in another thread but i might as well put them here where it fits with the thread title.

Amores perros (loves a bitch)
The Tin Drum
Cinema Paradiso
Intacto
Y tu mamá también
Run Lola Run
Spirited away

sure there is more but thats just some of the ones that have not been mentioned yet.

Commissario
I've seen a few Japanese films, such as The Happiness of Kirikani's (i think it was), very strange film about a family running a guest house who end up disposing of some bodies, I think it was a comedy with (if memory serves) at one point some zombies singing???

Most of the ones i've seen though are horrors, things like The Ring and Ring 2, Audition (parts of that really made me cringe), Battle Royale (a favourite), and it's much inferior sequel Battle Royale 2.

I've also watched quite a few of the various HK action type films, although they've never really caught my attention (and i'd be hard pressed to name them).

Mainly though i'm an anime fan when it comes to foreign films (as you already know:p), with tastes that vary from the Miyazaki family orientated films, to the likes of Gunbuster, Wings of Honemaese (great Gainex film about war/how small the world is told as the main character prepares to take part in his worlds first space flight), and on to the Patlabor films which are largely detective stories.

Associate
OH! you have to watch the film Ladri di biciclette (the bycicle thief) as well, Its old 1948 so its in black and white (imagine that, black and white and foreign! how cultured can we get??) its a story of a guy whos job/life depends on a bike but it gets stolen. very emotional (sounds it doesn't it.)

ALSO how could i forget the oscar winning Life is Beautiful - Italian comedy starts off as a romantic comedy as a poor jewish man falls for a nice school teacher. Then after about an hour, a certain war starts and the rest of the film is set in a concentration camp, with one of the greatest endings to any film I have ever seen.

Associate
French film ages ago

Ages ago I went to see a french film(with subtitles which was handy as I can't speak a word of french!)called Yamakazi,it was about a gang of people who did Parkour/Free running.I thought it was well cool.Story line was a wee bit cheezy but it felt great to sit there and watch a film in french.Don't know if you agree but I felt a bit more cultured watching a film in another language.LOL

Permabanned
G|mp said:
La Haine

Brilliant film with an even better soundtrack :)

Gret film ... french with english subtitles , The sound tack is great and the acting very gritty , Filed in black and white but its a very modern film .

With the riots in paris not so long ago it make's this film seem a lot more modern ;)

Soldato
G|mp said:
La Haine

Brilliant film with an even better soundtrack :)

Excellent film, I would highly rate this!

Other ones i've enjoyed are (of the top of my head):

Audition
Ichi The Killer
Battle Royale
The Grudge
The Eye
Conspirators of Pleasure (the sounds in this, especially the opera singing with one of the characters, is quite funny in some parts).
Amelie (beautiful film :))
i'm sure i've seen others...

Back
Top Bottom