Forticlient and Ubuntu

Soldato
So my Windows 10 laptop kept bluescreening and I installed Ubuntu as a fresh install.

Everything works perfectly apart from my Forticleint VPN to work... it connects much faster than Windows 10 did but when it does no data is being sent/received

The data count is 0.0Kbps for the downstream adn 0.05Kbps for the upstream, yet it stays like that :/

I can't RDP or Ping any work servers. Could it be their blocking Linux computers from using VPN? The thing is I do get a valid IP address on the VPN connection.

Soldato
I use FortiClient ok with windows for work and on my Mac and Ubuntu VM. I’m using the client to connect to an SSL VPN though and not IPSEC.

Are you operating split tunnelling? (I am)

Sounds like a binding/routing issue.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So my Windows 10 laptop kept bluescreening and I installed Ubuntu as a fresh install.

Everything works perfectly apart from my Forticleint VPN to work... it connects much faster than Windows 10 did but when it does no data is being sent/received

The data count is 0.0Kbps for the downstream adn 0.05Kbps for the upstream, yet it stays like that :/

I can't RDP or Ping any work servers. Could it be their blocking Linux computers from using VPN? The thing is I do get a valid IP address on the VPN connection.

The firewall might not be pushing out all the settings correctly under linux, I noticed that my home fortigate isnt set up properly and won't push settings out but the london and midlands firewalls will. Might be worth just checking dns in the forinet adapter and also turning on or off split tunneling as suggested above.

I doubt they are blocking linux, im not even sure if they can. Ive just had a look through all the settings on my 30e and cant see anything.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
OK I tried pinging a fileserver and it said it can't find the DNS entry for it. So I tried the IP address and it works!!

The thing is my PC at work is on DHCP so I need to figure out how to get the VPN connection to use my works DNS servers right?

Man of Honour
OK I tried pinging a fileserver and it said it can't find the DNS entry for it. So I tried the IP address and it works!!

The thing is my PC at work is on DHCP so I need to figure out how to get the VPN connection to use my works DNS servers right?

Modify the dns in the fortigate adapter. Set those to your work dns servers and you should be away.

Back
Top Bottom