1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rameses, 8 Mar 2010.

1. Rameses

Sgarrista

Rules on a forum are important, they can distinguish a good forum from a bad one. Reason for posting is not because of the fact my thread on a certain young man back in custody was deleted, but of the lack of communication of the dons and their actions.

Specifically the rules upon how they act to manage banned topics or touchy topics such as mine. Rules they follow are not what I'm questioning, it's how they approach them.

Do you not think it proper for dons to reasonably explain a) why they have closed a thread b) email user why they have deleted a thread?

Would this not allow the users to understand what they have done wrong and thus improve their understanding of the rules/forum etiquette?

Rules apply to all, not some. Allowing users to understand better what is right/wrong for this forum would benefit all would it not? To simply close/delete an already active thread without reasoning will not explain to users properly the reason/problem for closing/deleting.

A simple line of explanation in a closed thread, or email to user(s) to inform them of a delation could only help?

We as users are instructed to contact dons with questions, yet this isn't returned with similar kind?

I'm only asking out of interest, what do people think?

2. ScarySquirrel

Capodecina

I agree.

3. Jonners

Capodecina

Deep post there, I feel I helped you along helping you spell 'distinguish' ;) :p

4. Rameses

Sgarrista

How did I spell it to you in msn lol? :p distingquish?

5. Gilly

Man of Honour

I think it would take up too much time for the mod team to do that. There's simply too much going on for them to effectively communicate with everyone for every thread/post they edit/remove.

Most of the time stuff is communicated, but by its very nature it can't happen all the time.

6. Aero

Mobster

This is a dictatorship and not a democracy. Get back in line.

7. ci_newman

Sgarrista

Some certainly valid points but for them to have to justify the closing / deletion of every thread (E.g. trolling) would probably be quite a lot of work. It's easier just to close it..

8. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Bang on the money there dude. We close/delete loads of threads every day, I'd get nothing done if I had to email everyone why.

9. Sinque

Soldato

Plus it would allow people to argue against why it was closed. The current method they can't as they just don't know :p

10. Jonners

Capodecina

Craig says:
    how do u spell distingquies?

:p

11. Makunouchi

Mobster

There's nothing wrong with a well run dictatorship :D

I know you weren't implying there was, just expressing my opinion. I do sometimes wonder why a thread has been locked, and it would be good if the Don that locks it could write a few words as to why, but the threads that get deleted usually have a very obvious reason.

12. syke

Capodecina

Could set up an email notification, and just enter a reason and it gets sent to the OP. Like the 'Reason for Edit' thing.

13. Dewotter

Wise Guy

A post by a the closing Don explaining why would suffice. Someone can take it up with the specific don if they so please.

14. Rameses

Sgarrista

I can understand being such a busy forum, but isn't part of the don team here to mod certain forums? Not everyone as a whole?

Obviously GD is perhaps more busier than some put together, but is it not common courtesy to atleast be clear in closed threads and where possible deleted ones?

15. Viper²

Sgarrista

Lock it.

16. Rameses

Sgarrista

:p:o

17. Gilly

Man of Honour

Indeed. If the thread has gone completely, get in touch with the mod team. Simple.

18. Marky

Capodecina

I totally agree with the OP - And a decent way to actually contact the admins/dons on this forum would be very helpful! It's almost impossible to get a response back at the moment ¬_¬'

You would think :(

19. Tefal

Capo Crimine

email a don if you want answers tbh.

I do when I get banned/thread deleted etc, get a quick response rather than making a "whaaa my thread got deleted" thread.

20. SiriusB

Capodecina

A few short words on why a thread got closed would be nice, although more often than not it is pretty obvious.

Doesn't really bother me either way.