Forum Etiquette

Permabanned
I had a post deleted the other day where I used the P word for a ladies lady parts, and I was actually happy, because I've noticed a general trend downwards in the moderation of this type of thing recently, the whole 'family forum' feel simply doesn't exist as it once did.

If you want the family forum feeling don't post words which are not suitable for a family forum for a start. Or are you the tearaway from the family?

Soldato
I've never had problems contacting a Don but the one time I was suspended the three word reason for suspension did leave me slightly confused and irritated. I had been suspended for "poorly disguised swearing" (though in my opinion it was neither but that's not the point) quite a time after the post had been made. Of course, a quick e-mail later and a Don (I think it may have been yourself Gilly) did clear up matters and I was happy (though still suspended). However, this irritation and confusion could have been prevented by even just a quick link to the offending post and while I realise the effort the mods put in on these boards, and that they're doing it voluntarily, it may not hurt to make things such as suspensions and thread locks a wee bit clearer.

If the mods do find such things overly time consuming may I recommend [TW]Fox as a mod, he seems to have enough words to go around :p

Permabanned
I think there are 2 reasons why :

1 ) Time - They have lives as well (apparently)

2 ) If there is an explanation and the don is in the wrong multiple people will pull them up on this and start a new thread to complain and protest in the streets. Where as if its just one person by email they can just go Lul Wut?

Soldato
If you want the family forum feeling don't post words which are not suitable for a family forum for a start. Or are you the tearaway from the family?

It wasn't that it was more having that particular post deleted made me realise how much I'd dropped my own standard of posting as a result of the general standard falling.

But it's all cyclical, General has been worse than it is now and it's also been better, and will be again in both cases.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
@O.P
You really don't know the half of it. :(
At least with Gilly I knew Exactly where I stood rather than the rules being decided Personally by Individual admins/dons/mods whatever there called now.
Thankfully there are still one or two level headed people that can sort things out when the new breed **** things up for Normal members.

Caporegime
I did have a slight issue with this when I first joined - seems I had posted a word I hadn't realised was considered inappropriate for the forum and got an instant suspension. I did email a couple of Don's but recieved no response. I did think an instant suspension without warning was a bit harsh but no biggie really - tis probably easier just to suspend people as a) there are enough users anyway and b) if they get it they'll stick around and if they don't then its a good filter.

I guess though for spam threads that get deleted there is no need for an explanation, ditto to threads that turn into a massive argument and get locked - the reason is obvious.

However I do sort of see the OPs point on this one - if the thread is a serious one, the OP has spent time expressing his views and a bunch of people have responded sensibly and within the rules then to just delete it is a bit rude. It would take a few seconds to send the OP a quick note saying its been deleted/deemed inappropriate and would prevent a followup thread like this. Ditto to threads that get locked where the reason for the lock isn't quite as clear cut - a quick note would just help people understand why and would avoid any ill feeling/frustration.

I realise the forums are provided free, this isn't a democracy, mods give up their free time etc.etc... but it would literally take a few seconds and if they are really that pushed for time and the odd note on a thread that is closed/locked for slightly more ambiguous reasons is too time consuming then why not just create a couple more mods.

Man of Honour
In fairness malc, I made judgements on each individual case too, its just that I took the same approach with similar threads/posts. I'm sure the current team do the same its just that they may have slightly different approaches to each other (and to my approach when part of the team).

Doesn't mean they do a lesser job or anything like that, just that their approach will vary from person to person, it's only natural after all :)

Soldato
Private forum, I don't pay to post here and I accept any decisions made by the moderating team without explanation. I've been suspended a few times and have always had a reason, but I don't see a need to explain why a thread is closed/deleted. Yes it'd be nice but it'd also open up the possibility of a debate thread discussing whether the mods were right to do so - which frankly could be a waste of time.

Mods are right, even when they're not. If I were paying for the OCUK forum I might feel differently. I've been here for years and like how they've keeping it clean, reasonably mature and something I could let me non-existant kids read without worrying too much.

Man of Honour
A post by a the closing Don explaining why would suffice. Someone can take it up with the specific don if they so please.

Except when people don't even read the closing post by a Don and start up a new thread as I've seen more than once. I agree that it's good practice by the moderator if they've got time but unfortunately with the pressures of a busy forum that won't always be possible.

Some threads of course are simply too controversial for whatever reason to be kept open and in those cases they will need to be deleted/moved while they are cleaned up so it's not always possible or even worthwhile to acknowledge what has been done. In the vast majority of thread closures it is quite eminently obvious why they are closed.

As for emailing a Don and not getting a response, it's quite possible that the email has inadvertently got caught in the spam filter. I'd guess that is more likely than them being rude and ignoring you although that's always an option.

Man of Honour
I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's only an internet forum.

Very true.

Private forum, I don't pay to post here and I accept any decisions made by the moderating team without explanation.

Mods are right, even when they're not. If I were paying for the OCUK forum I might feel differently.

I disagree with that. The forum is clearly part of the main shop. There's the shop logo at the top, adverts for different components, he and his co-workers create threads regarding offers, your account here is linked to getting free postage etc. etc. I see it as something that I "do" pay for by shopping here. The forum wouldn't be here in the form that it is without the shop. If Spie had created and paid for a forum nothing to do with his business (e.g. cars) then I'd be inclined to agree.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Doesn't mean they do a lesser job or anything like that, just that their approach will vary from person to person, it's only natural after all :)

You went by the rules mate & that is all i ask. Individuals making Personal decisions to warn/suss/ban people is wrong & will only lead to abuse mis-understanding & bad feeling.

I am not implying they do a bad job though, I understand how hard the job must be but it takes somebody Special to be a Don/Admin & most personality's are just not Man enough for the job.

Back
Top Bottom