1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum improvement suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Makavelli, 16 May 2006.

1. Makavelli

Hitman

Not sure if this is the right section for this, but as it's not a product suggestion i thought i would put it here.

On another forum i frequent (Redissue), whenever your point at the thread title a box comes up showing the first line of the thread. Is this something that could be done on OCUK?

Apologies if this has already been discussed before it's just i find it quite a useful feature as sometimes Thread titles can be a bit vague. Also if this is in the wrong section perhaps a mod could redirect me.

2. iCraig

PermaBanned

Well I for one don't like that idea, I like OcUK for the clean browsing experience in gives, and I wouldn't like to see a cluttered forum page.

Mods are quite vigilant with thread titles, and will rename those that have vague descriptions, so in my opinion there is no need for any more information to be displayed next to the thread title.

Last edited: 16 May 2006
  3. singist

Mobster

No idea if it's possible or not but sounds an eminently good suggestion; as you rightly point out, titles can be so vague.

4. PardonTheWait

Capodecina

I think it's been brought up before and the admins said that while it's a nice idea, it's really heavy work for the servers and stuff, so it's not going to happen.

With the speed of the net these days anyway it's probably quicker to click it and hop back out, than wait for the first line to come up while hovering.

5. Zefan

Don

Why not just click on the damn thread and read it? Are you THAT lazy?

Even if it is a good idea it'll just encourage lazy thread titling.

Sorry but it's pointless and I doubt they'll ever add it to here.

6. Beansprout

Man of Honour

It takes longer for the mouseover to appear than for the thread to load anyway :p

7. Loki

Asus Rep

Whats your name on RI Makavelli ?

8. burns

Mobster

I don't like it. I find the box always obscures other stuff as it just gets in the way ad they always pop up when you don't want them.

9. iCraig

PermaBanned

STOP SAYING STUFF AND STUFF!

10. PardonTheWait

Capodecina

Do I say it a lot and stuff?

Edit: I just searched, I say stuff a lot :/

11. iCraig

PermaBanned

You make me cry and stuff

12. Otacon

Capodecina

It was disabled after the last upgrade for 2 reasons - 1) server load (though that doesn’t really matter now we're on a new server), and 2) The previews were broke in FireFox.

Personally, I think it's unnecessary clutter. Just take a look if you're interested.

13. burns

Mobster

We're on a new server?! Why didn't any one tell me:mad:. That would explain why the forums have seemed much faster of late then.

14. Bumhucker

Hitman

My uni connection is sometimes worse than a dial-up connection. I've often thought this feature would be useful to see if a page is actually worth loading up.

But then thread title are on the whole quite descriptive so it's not as bad as other forums and stuff :p

15. gord

Capodecina

Exactly, i read thread creators not titles... :p that way i can avoid all posts by Otacon.

16. chris_r

Mobster

It's so annoying imo, as when you are moving your mouse around the page all these 'pop up type' things appear, where as if you are intrested you enter the topic anyway.

Plus, i can imagine the server bill to go sky high, or slower

17. Chris [BEANS]

Soldato

Personally i don't like it, it's too cluttered.

18. SourChipmunk

Sgarrista

I agree with that statement. And I've heard from administrators of other forums that have (had) this feature; they claim their bandwidth utilisation increased more than 40%. I don't know how accurate that is, but it does seem reasonable.

19. Big Kev

Capodecina

I agree with young Otters, it doesn't take too much effort to take a butchers and although we try to alter vague thread titles, people could make more effort themselves in this area.

20. Makavelli

Hitman

Makavelli

Not much of a poster though as there is far too much rubbish posted on there. Like to browse for transfer info and club gossip, some well informed people frequent that forum. The Roy Keane story broke on RI before it hit the news!