Forum improvement suggestion

Associate
OP
Otacon said:
It was disabled after the last upgrade for 2 reasons - 1) server load (though that doesn’t really matter now we're on a new server), and 2) The previews were broke in FireFox.

Personally, I think it's unnecessary clutter. Just take a look if you're interested.

It appears that this feature is all down to personal preference as some of the posts are in favour and some are against. Obviously the final decision comes down to the don's which is fair enough, i just wasn't sure if this feature had been looked into at all, but it has so i guess that's that.

One thing i would like to say is in response to comments like look if your interested, are you too lazy to look etc etc. I have clicked on threads thinking they are about something completely different than what they actually turn out to be, I have also clicked on threads purely out of the curiosity generated from a leading title only to find out i am not interested in the subject at all, both scenarios easily avoidable by a preview feature.

Again, either way it makes no odds to me as the subject matter is usually pretty sensible on here and usually thread titles are self explanatory, i just know on Redissue it makes life a whole lot easier when the preview pane is there.

Soldato
Makavelli said:
One thing i would like to say is in response to comments like look if your interested, are you too lazy to look etc etc. I have clicked on threads thinking they are about something completely different than what they actually turn out to be, I have also clicked on threads purely out of the curiosity generated from a leading title only to find out i am not interested in the subject at all, both scenarios easily avoidable by a preview feature.
Vague titles aren't rife here by any stretch of the imagination (especially when comared to other forums), and when they do crop up, more often than not we'll change them anyway.

If you click on a subject and find it's not to your interest, then just leave. I'm sure the couple of seconds and few bytes it costs you arent that precious.

Soldato
I don't think it's necessary either really, but it's not such a bad idea. It's enabled on another forum I use and it's just the first 10 or so words really, hardly a huge pop-up. And it wouldn't cause popups to be appearing all over the place unless you were moving your mouse very slowly across the page for some reason anyway.

Caporegime
The previews do work in FireFox, a few other vBulletin forums I browse (including one I am admin of) work fine :)

however I dislike them, they just get in the way and annoyingly on this machine (which is utter pap) it lags :|

Soldato
as already mentioned by the time you click the thread, even if it is a short name out of curiosty!

by the time the thread appears on your screen, its faster that doing a mouse over.

Back
Top Bottom