Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

Soldato
Yes is the short answer but obviously you have to be consistant with your shifts. It's a lot easier then I thought it would be since the game rev matches for you. I do agree with you regarding the brakes and also the FFB is a little too strong for my liking. Ofcourse you will be able to change all these settings when the final game comes out.

Adam I got one of the very few Turbo S (beta wheels) delivered today from Fanatec as part of a series of reviews Im doing at gtf. Perhaps tomorrow and during the course of this week I will be giving this a go over in detail and hopefully with the standard and Clubsport pedals. Interested to see how my own times compare with those I have done with the X360 wheel.

Particulary so as this "Turbo S seems to be very much debated wheel" on these forums because of its price. I wont however interrupt this thread further on it as some find it annoying. If your interested you know where you or others can read about it and any of you are welcome to discuss it there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hope this is not can/worms type stuff but what are people doing in terms of steering wheels? Guess most are using the MS wireless one?

I'm just using the pad and I want a wheel but I've no idea wtf I'm going to clamp it to. I could move the dining room table 6 foot or so to get it closer/lined up to the TV but I can hear the sound of my Mrs whinging in my head already. :rolleyes:

I have received both of the most popular wheelstands for review..
The "Wheel Stand Pro" and just in today the "Fanatec Renn Sport Wheel Stand"

We have a thread about it on the forums I review for (see sig) and also the recent announced competition coming where you could even win one.

Cant be fairer than that.
Or if you like a bit of d.i.y see what one of the forum members did.

Lightspeeds d.i.y frame.
wheelstandside.jpg

wheelstandrear.jpg

wheelstandfront.jpg

Soldato
'cutting edge of science'

Im on silver so I just had a quick go of this demo. Its smart looking, very good graphics to the tracks and the cockpit view works well for me. Sounds is decent, much improved but missing spatial realism or some final touch

Is there a multiplayer option for gold? I had a quick go, got 1.14 in the evo I think it was and 1.07 in the porsche or I tried it on easy and got 1.05 heh

Overall I dont think this game will be one of my favourites as it seems a bit too easy or uninvolved at least. Thats not to say I was especially good at forza 2 but it kept me on my toes more
I can pull off full throttle in first and it wont try to end up backwards. I can enter a curve far too fast, brake at the wrong point and maybe I'll pull a big drift but it doesnt seem to spin hardly ever

The sound of the car bottoming out is pretty evident but the effects on the handling arent as extreme as it should be.
Its a lot more arcadey and closer to pgr this version which I dont mind but they over smoothed some of the more challenging characteristics and that was my whole reason for playing, its lost its edge

Last edited:
Soldato
5 seconds difference

A wheel is like an arcade stick for beat em ups, it's not an instant win but stick with it and it's much better.

Having said that I heard the best players with fastest lap times on forza 2 used gamepads not sure I believe it though.

Its true I saw pics of someone winning a nissan live tournament using a pad. An event that had both pad and wheel players.

Soldato
Im on silver so I just had a quick go of this demo. Its smart looking, very good graphics to the tracks and the cockpit view works well for me. Sounds is decent, much improved but missing spatial realism or some final touch

Is there a multiplayer option for gold? I had a quick go, got 1.14 in the evo I think it was and 1.07 in the porsche or I tried it on easy and got 1.05 heh

Overall I dont think this game will be one of my favourites as it seems a bit too easy or uninvolved at least. Thats not to say I was especially good at forza 2 but it kept me on my toes more
I can pull off full throttle in first and it wont try to end up backwards. I can enter a curve far too fast, brake at the wrong point and maybe I'll pull a big drift but it doesnt seem to spin hardly ever

The sound of the car bottoming out is pretty evident but the effects on the handling arent as extreme as it should be.
Its a lot more arcadey and closer to pgr this version which I dont mind but they over smoothed some of the more challenging characteristics and that was my whole reason for playing, its lost its edge

Try turning the assists off...

Associate
Also, a lot of people that have played the full version (as in, non-demo cars) have been saying that you have to be much smarter with the throttle without traction control than in FM2. I think the bunch of cars they chose for the demo is a little poor in that none of them really should slide around, and that's obviously making some people feel like the game is overly easy. The Mitsu and Audi have 4-wheel-drive, the Porsche is a racing car and thus should always be pretty much glued to the tarmac, the Mini is, well, a Mini. The only one that should maybe feel a little looser is the Ferrari, but it is a Ferrari so it shouldn't feel like some heavy American muscle car with zero traction. Plus, you can even make the Ferrari slide very easily if you just nail it in the middle of a corner.

That probably sounds a little defensive, and I haven't even driven the other 400-some cars. I just want this game to be awesome because I spent a million euros on that damn Porsche wheel which I won't even receive for another two months if nothing changes.

Associate
Drowsyn you are right, but it goes both ways, maybe turn10 wanted a variety of cars whilst having them all relativly easy to drive. Been said many times that they want more people playing the game of all demographics, and we already know the majority of hardcore racing fans will be buying it just on it's name alone.

But then again i dont know how well it has worked as the people they're trying to attract arn't the most vocal, but there are over 500,000 times in the leaderboards for each car so that there alone show how much interest there is now.

New time in the ferrari is 2.2seconds off top spot, still rank2000th+ (drunk gaming powers coming in handy there).
My other times are slowly getting erroded and i refuse to do the mini more as it just embarresses me.

Associate
It's actually not as bad as it looks. Obviously not as good as Logitech's best wheels (G25, DFP, DFGT), but it's still a wheel and thus automatically better than a pad for racing.

Plus, the only option is the Fanatec 911 Porsche wheel which costs as much as a small car. I guess I don't need to travel long distances for the next year.

Soldato
Try turning the assists off...

Thought I did. I first played on the hardest level for that reason, I dont know what the clutch button is but I drove it grinding the gears and I can keep the throttle down more then I would expect to be able to.
The understeer is still there but theres less torque or oversteer, lifting off the gas doesnt seem to have the same effect or braking at the wrong point.

Trying to alter just the gears to manual makes it custom and disables the ai cars I think and also the damage. I didnt manage to damage the car apart from the body panels and gear box, I guess that option is reduced currently from full damage?
I was pretty rough with the car, it still very rarely spun

I played with advanced next and it has the abs and braking advice which I didnt want, not that I was locking the brakes before

Then finally just to see how it played, I tried easy and like I say that was my best time, took 5 seconds off so maybe that shows I should be suffering on advanced a bit more

Still seems a good game, just I dont suppose I would rush out to get it immediately off the back of just this demo. Compare it to the free demo BMW gave out for their M3 on the pc and it doesnt compare where as forza 2 did.

The test I always do with these games is try the dodge viper or something like an ac cobra, if that isnt incredibly volatile I know its not really worth playing

Soldato
Thought I did. I first played on the hardest level for that reason, I dont know what the clutch button is but I drove it grinding the gears and I can keep the throttle down more then I would expect to be able to.
The understeer is still there but theres less torque or oversteer, lifting off the gas doesnt seem to have the same effect or braking at the wrong point.

Trying to alter just the gears to manual makes it custom and disables the ai cars I think and also the damage. I didnt manage to damage the car apart from the body panels and gear box, I guess that option is reduced currently from full damage?
I was pretty rough with the car, it still very rarely spun

I played with advanced next and it has the abs and braking advice which I didnt want, not that I was locking the brakes before

Then finally just to see how it played, I tried easy and like I say that was my best time, took 5 seconds off so maybe that shows I should be suffering on advanced a bit more

Still seems a good game, just I dont suppose I would rush out to get it immediately off the back of just this demo. Compare it to the free demo BMW gave out for their M3 on the pc and it doesnt compare where as forza 2 did.

The test I always do with these games is try the dodge viper or something like an ac cobra, if that isnt incredibly volatile I know its not really worth playing

If you took 5 seconds off your lap by selecting easy, then I'd say that you just are not into more sime like racing.

Its not perfect, but the mini handling is fairly good, driven at the limit, it has lift off oversteer and power understeer. Getting it not to spin/get out of control when going for a top 1% laptime is the challenge!

This is better then FM2 in the nuances of car response and control, it does have it's own idea of grip levels, but overall, its pretty decent so far.

It is just a game, so at the end of the day, some will like it, some wont..

Associate
Oh dear, i just decided to try out the assists for the first time, That's ABS, TCS and STM. In the end, three laps in with warmed up tyres i get 0.4seconds off my best time in the GT3cup, abs cut in for about a second on first hairpin and tcs cut in during the air peaks.

So even taking into account my poor driving i'm going to say the assists are great compared to how they used to be, can on the limit grip with front inside tyres squealing a bit and not have stm or tcs cut in at all. Of course i only got one lap at that time in, all others i was pushing fairly hard, lose traction into the first hairpin and have stm cripple the car and send me in the wrong direction. But the STM and ABS in the gt3cup at least arn't a horrible hinderance imo. I still havent touched automatic gears or autobrake though.

Caporegime
Only ever played the Forza 2 demo so chose to play the game with all of the assists switched on at first. I was roughly 5 seconds off the top spot for the first few days but since turning the assists off I've slowly cut that down to 2 seconds and now sit in the top 1% for all 5 cars.

Soldato
Im in the top 1% on the porsche. I only had a quick few laps on each car so I'll have to give it another go just that was my first impressions. I'm waiting to see how gt5 turns out now, I wasnt that impressed with that demo either except the f40 was quite wily :)

Are people rating fm3 over gt5 currently? Its an obvious competition

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5894.html

Soldato
Just got the demo and have been putting in a few laps in the Porsche after some races.
In the top 3% with a 1:03.667 - it showed my last lap as having been a 1:00.*** though, so I guess the rest is penalties, can't tell where I am getting them though.
Can't imagine how people are doing this track in 57 seconds....

Can you tune the cars in the demo through the options thing like you could in practise mode in Forza2?

Morning update, Top 1% in the Ferrari, 1:08.838 :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom