Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

Soldato
playing it not, have to say, its awesome:D
so much better than forza 2 imo
cant wait for this to come out

Edit - one thing i dislike it the cockpit view, seems to close up

Last edited:
Soldato
playing on Hard settings and still seems a little to easy as all you do is drift round outside of the cars on the big bends or use them as bumpers on inside line, coming in 1st place isn't as hard as i expected.

and i hate the rewind feature, although it seems to be the next big thing that a car game has to have and is alright on an arcade racing game it ruins it in this as it's trying to be all sim like. When a single mistake in a race is the difference between if you lose or win, then the stupid rewind feature totally takes the "realism" away.

Apart from that the cars look nice the overall scenery is a lot better.

Caporegime
and i hate the rewind feature, although it seems to be the next big thing that a car game has to have and is alright on an arcade racing game it ruins it in this as it's trying to be all sim like. When a single mistake in a race is the difference between if you lose or win, then the stupid rewind feature totally takes the "realism" away.

Don't use it? :confused:

Soldato

You don't have to use it. The game designers probably realised that they where missing an audience by making it less arcade. By doing this, they can keep certain elements but make the casual person enjoy it. It certainly won't effect the online aspects, as people will still have to drive!

Soldato
I played in the Ferrari and on expert, loved it. That crash video on the first page looks stunning! :eek: Are there seperate leaderboards for people playing on expert settings etc? Obviously people using assists will have an advantage otherwise.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My thoughts so far.

Graphics: There's no doubt about it, this is a huge step up from FM2, car models in particular are fantastic. Having said that, T10 just don't seem to be able to nail that photorealistic colour palette that PD does in the GT series, everything still looks a bit over-saturated. Overall though it's a gorgeous game, and the cockpit view (which I will always use) is superb, the driver's position and FOV are just perfect, the only criticism of the cockpit view I would have is it could do with a little more movement, it's a bit static.

I don't think the jaggies are that bad at all, in fact there are a lot less jaggies than the first game. I'd actually say it's one of the crispest looking 360 games yet (I'm playing on a 50" Samsung DLP @ 720p).

Sound: Again, fantastic. Engines sound natural, meaty and correct.

Physics: Here's what it's all about, and I'm glad to say it doesn't disappoint. After the mess that was Shift this feels utterly sublime. Cars feel more solid and weighty than in FM2, and you get great feedback from the car, you can really sense weight shifting and it all feels so 'right'. I'm only using a pad and the controls are great, just the right amount of sensitivity and response, and you can put the car where you want and be lovely and smooth. What impressed me most was the MINI, it felt and behaved EXACTLY right, it's an absolute hoot to play with lift-off oversteer just like in a real FWD car. I'd honestly say this is approaching PC sims in terms of physics.

All in all this is just what the doctor ordered after the disappointing NFS:Shift, it's everything I was expecting and hoping for :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to download it and get a race in my 30min lunch break. Feels great and looks fantastic, as mentioned above the jaggies aren't too noticeable/annoying compared to most other 360 games.

I really do love the environment, the sky boxes looks amazing!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My thoughts so far.

Graphics: There's no doubt about it, this is a huge step up from FM2, car models in particular are fantastic. Having said that, T10 just don't seem to be able to nail that photorealistic colour palette that PD does in the GT series, everything still looks a bit over-saturated. Overall though it's a gorgeous game, and the cockpit view (which I will always use) is superb, the driver's position and FOV are just perfect, the only criticism of the cockpit view I would have is it could do with a little more movement, it's a bit static.

I don't think the jaggies are that bad at all, in fact there are a lot less jaggies than the first game. I'd actually say it's one of the crispest looking 360 games yet (I'm playing on a 50" Samsung DLP @ 720p).

Sound: Again, fantastic. Engines sound natural, meaty and correct.

Physics: Here's what it's all about, and I'm glad to say it doesn't disappoint. After the mess that was Shift this feels utterly sublime. Cars feel more solid and weighty than in FM2, and you get great feedback from the car, you can really sense weight shifting and it all feels so 'right'. I'm only using a pad and the controls are great, just the right amount of sensitivity and response, and you can put the car where you want and be lovely and smooth. What impressed me most was the MINI, it felt and behaved EXACTLY right, it's an absolute hoot to play with lift-off oversteer just like in a real FWD car.

All in all this is just what the doctor ordered after the disappointing NFS:Shift, it's everything I was expecting and hoping for :cool:

+1, just had a quick go in the Evo and Porsche.

The only thing thats bugging me is immersion. The cockpit movement is very minimal and the sound in the interior could have done with being a bit more realistic. This is mainly aimed towards the Porsche. It should sound a little louder like a real stipped out racer and I'd ecpect to head bits of gravel etc whicn you kick a wheel off the track.

Those are two very small points though. The main thing that's changed is the feeling of weight, cars feel much like I'd expect them too. No silly floating feeling entering a corner (unless you're bouncing off the limiter with locked up inside wheel and the rears spinning up :D). The visuals are just about what you can expect from a 360 title, although I felt there was a bit of unecessary vignetting going on (banded gradient style shading).

The ABS is still like Forza 2 though. Turn it off and a small braking input locks the wheels. Maybe a wheel with its longer brake travel will be better (i'm using a pad).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The ABS is still like Forza 2 though. Turn it off and a small braking input locks the wheels. Maybe a wheel with its longer brake travel will be better (i'm using a pad).

Yeah, forgot to mention that. It's the only assist that I find I have to use.

I agree with you about the sound inside the cockpit too, it's doesn't sound 'stripped out' and 'raw' like a race car should.

Associate
Having said that, T10 just don't seem to be able to nail that photorealistic colour palette that PD does in the GT series

I wish I could remember where I read it, but I'm sure they said they aim to make them look like they do in the silky brochures rather than what they actually look like. After hearing that one phrase how the cars look makes sense to me. It's a shame it's not 'realistic' but it wouldn't surprise me if a degree of it comes from wanting to differentiate from the GT series.

Either way, this has finished downloading at home. Sadly home is over an hour away and I'm at work till 5.30!

Associate
Wow, love everything about the demo except the track. Cars look fantastic and all feel nicely weighted, sound is spot on and the selection of vehicles is nice.

Dont know why some are so up in arms over the rewind feature, I wont use it all the time but there have been a few occasions toward the end of a long race where Id definately use it. Also it will be tremendously useful for learning particular corners/track sections, instead of having one crack at a problem corner per lap it'll be nice to just be able to try it as many times as you want with different lines.

Back
Top Bottom