Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Could someone answer this for me:

How many gold trial accounts can you get from one 360? I've had 2 already.

I'm not sure. I assume you mean registering a new gamertag to get a free month? I would expect no limit to be honest.

I MAY have a 24 hour gold card at home if someone can't donate in the mean time.

Soldato
Sent you a friends request.

I just did a 1:14 in the Evo (second lap) try using manual it makes quite a difference. Don't know if that lap will be recorded i scraped the Pork near the end.

Thanks

Its the faster cars that give more of a challenge i think.

I think its pointless trying to run a Time Trial at this point, as i think there is a bug in the demo that registers bottoming out the car as a penalty, so there is no way of knowing if people are using the rewind to get their lap times.

Caporegime
I'm not sure. I assume you mean registering a new gamertag to get a free month? I would expect no limit to be honest.

I MAY have a 24 hour gold card at home if someone can't donate in the mean time.

I'm pretty sure it is 4.

Thanks for the replies, I hope then in only using 2 on the current console I can get another one to grab the demo tonight. :D

Associate
Considering buying the microsoft wheel for this seeing as my G25 wont work, is it decent enough? Only alternative i have seen (fanatec) is crazy money!

I would be interested in this as well. It is annoying as there is not an option like the G25 for the xbox. :(

It seems to come down to buying the MS wheel or going all out and getting the fanatec one.

Soldato
OK, to get my moans out the way
1. The graphics are not quite as spectacular as I was expecting.. I didn't fall for the photo-mode hype, but the videos that where supposed to be from in-game and replay cams seem a little better then actuality. I am genuinely will get GT5 just for the graphics fest that it is.2
2. I can't sense a huge difference in the physics between FM2 and this.. I'm using a MK1 MS Wheel, and the FFB seems a little low, coupled with the fact I expected to feel the torque steer etc (as per Race Pro)..
3. Like FM2, the AI on hardest isn't too hard at all, they could do with one higher level. All it means is, like all these games, I'll set the difficulty by ensuring my car is slightly under rated to the rest of the field.

Now onto the good bits for me..
1. The graphics get better the longer you play.. Kind of the opposite to some games. I've been playing on/off for a few hours and actually moved my 28" monitor back (was sat about 1 foot infront of it, but it fills too much of your peripheral vision and accentuates the jaggies..). The aliasing is disappearing as I'm starting to ignore it, and the backgrounds are stunning. I especially like the helicopter view where you can see lots of the track, seeing all the cars going round at different points is very nice. Chase cam shows a huge improvement in the car models and reflections, shame I can't race like this, but actually in motion it's very good, and a match at times for GT5p. Bonnet cam reflections are superb as well. I actually like the cockpit view, and think I could be tempted out of bumper cam (which is higher then the usual bumper cam). The cockpit graphics are pretty much OK, high enough res detail etc, but some surface textures are missing a bit of 'texture'..
2. The physics still feels very good, my issue is the demo has no adjustment, so for example, the throttle is way too sensitive, as is the brakes, and I need to turn the FFB up. I can't do an accurate appraisal as I need to try some more well known tracks to see how it reacts when it loads up, Maple Valley, the first long right hander is a great place for that in FM2. Weight transfer is accurate again, you have to be very careful under braking to get it right, and precise control of the throttle is needed to balance the car on the limit. I need to wait for the full game to see if I can increase the default feedback level, the steering wheel is far too easy to turn. I'd love someone that gets a Turbo S to tell me if that does the job, if it does, consider me selling a kidney to get one!
3. The engine sounds are incredible. I have a small 5.1 system in my study, and I've turned the in-game music off to just get the full effect, and turned it up quite loud.. The Ferrari and Audi sound really really good, lots of thunderous undertones, with the nice howl of the engine.

I was thinking if this game was totally spectacular, then I may reconside a PS3 Slim + GT5 I have asked Santa for, but actually, and it's no disrespect to FM3, I'll play it to death and probably do all my online racing on it, but I do now want to see the graphical prowess of GT5, even if I feel at this stage it won't live up to expectation in many other areas.. Having both means I can get the biggest fix.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks

Its the faster cars that give more of a challenge i think.

I think its pointless trying to run a Time Trial at this point, as i think there is a bug in the demo that registers bottoming out the car as a penalty, so there is no way of knowing if people are using the rewind to get their lap times.

Yeah, i've not really bothered with the 911, not keen on the race cars and never mind the bugs, the AI are always in the way!

Associate
Can't say I have any complaints here, driving with all assists off apart from ABS.

I started with the Mini and went upwards, really good feeling the difference in speed and handling characteristics as you go up.

The Mini is good laugh, can really chuck it about :D

Soldato
I've had some fantastic crashes, some I caused others I didn't....

Bombing down the hill on lap 1 the AI racer in the Lexus took a touch too much of the rumble strip which sent him slipping sideway across the track, reacting to that the car in front of me slammed hard on the brakes to avoid an accident. Great except I was right up his exhaust and plowed straight into him gathering up the Lexus in the process. As we had now formed a 3 car barrier we caught the other 3 cars behind us in a giant 6 car pile up.

Sim damage so lots of broken cars! Pure awesome :D

Soldato
I've had some fantastic crashes, some I caused others I didn't....

Bombing down the hill on lap 1 the AI racer in the Lexus took a touch too much of the rumble strip which sent him slipping sideway across the track, reacting to that the car in front of me slammed hard on the brakes to avoid an accident. Great except I was right up his exhaust and plowed straight into him gathering up the Lexus in the process. As we had now formed a 3 car barrier we caught the other 3 cars behind us in a giant 6 car pile up.

Sim damage so lots of broken cars! Pure awesome :D

Lolz.. I noticed you where online and saw you where playing..

I managed to get one of the AI to flip and stay on it's roof, it was so mullered it looked like it had been burnt out, I then made it a mission to get all AI on their roofs in the same place, but it's harder then it looks!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Tonight i'm going to spend a lot of time evaluating the new AI and the driving in general. My two short races were great.

I think the sense of speed is a little off, even the Porsche seems to feel a bit sluggish up the hill.

Permabanned
Tonight i'm going to spend a lot of time evaluating the new AI and the driving in general. My two short races were great.

I think the sense of speed is a little off, even the Porsche seems to feel a bit sluggish up the hill.

Yeah I agree with this aswell. Don't really get a sense of speed.

Soldato
How do people find the AI? I don't know if its just me but sometimes they seem intent on just following their line, regardless of whether that means shoving you out of the way/pushing you off the track completely?

Generally loving the demo though, i've turned all assists except ABS off and it feels much better than Forza 2 to me, its more tactile, the cars have more weight and I really feel in control of the whole thing. Loving chucking the mini around, im not sure the map is wide enough to really show off the fastest cars in the demo though...

Last edited:
Soldato
Really getting to like this now .

When i first loaded it up i was impressed with the new UI. Very neat and tidy.

I wasn't so impressed when i started up the game though, but as someone else mentioned, it grows on you, and i think it looks incredible. Not quite as nice as GT5p for that realistic look, but they have done a good job.
There are a few graphical glitches that i would have prefered to have been ironed out but i think i'm being picky.

The Replays.
I love watching replays of my races, and i find the inerface for changing the camera angles a bit hard work at the moment. I'm sure i will get more used to it though. For the movie makers, the amount of different angles is quite amazing.
You have all the different cameras, then if you press the X button, you can change between the different cameras inside that catagory.

When i first played it, it was with a pad, and i didn't think the handling felt that different to FM2. But using the wheel feels much bettter in FM3. I'm only using the Microsoft version, so you people with the Fanatec should be in for a treat.
It would have been nice to have the option to increase the FF strength a bit though.

I've just been watching on of my replays and i think the AI is great. I went a little wide on one corner and the BMW 135 (are they that quick in real life?) behind wasted no time to slip up the inside. Nice and agressive.

Not had chance to play with the damage, so i'm off now to crash some cars and try and roll a few.

Its mind blowing to think how little we have in this demo compared to the full game. Another 395 cars, fully customizable, all those new tracks.:eek:

:D

Last edited:
Associate
Seen some interesing behaviour from the ai, have had a load of races and so far havent been spun out by ai blindly sticking to the racing line. Seen a couple of cars really get a corner wrong, one smashing into a wall and the other running wide into a gravel trap. Both with no ramming from me.

Associate
How do people find the AI? I don't know if its just me but sometimes they seem intent on just following their line, regardless of whether that means shoving you out of the way/pushing you off the track completely?

Find this a lot in the first corner might be me getting a bit carried away but if they start pushing you they won't slow down they just try drive through you.
Other than that they're pretty good, they try make moves on you but i dislike how the turn into giant road trains in the corners, makes some overtaking a bit of a pain since you can't get back in (left turn, bottom of the hill, if i go wide i often can't get back in)

Associate
Great improvement over FM2 so far. Steering/handling feels perfectly weighted and consistent. Engine sounds are lovely too, the R8 sounds fantastic.

Not managed to flip a car yet though. Also it says that you can buy/sell tuning setups as well in the auction house thing which is good news.

Soldato
be prepared for disappointment on Christmas morning, but don't blame Santa ;)

Yeah, I know Santa's elves won't be able to make GT5 until March 2010 at the earliest!..

Getting my fastest 'certified' lap times down to 1:03 easily in the GT3 RSR, the track is a little 'tight' for 8 cars at the first corner, for good laptimes, I just let the AI go, and reverse back to ensure my first lap is a flyer..

And the graphics are growing on me more and more..

I have a 28" HDMI Monitor about 12" infront of me, and it's a git for gaming on sometimes, I've moved it back as far as I can, and all the aliasing has all but gone, and I'm noticing awesome detail in the rear view mirror in bumper cam, this is really a class game..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom