Forza Motorsport 7

Caporegime
SHOCKED, I tell you, SHOCKED that a new Forza game has been announced at E3.

Xbox One and Windows 10 exclusive. Experience the danger and beauty of competitive racing at the limit in Forza Motorsport 7. Enjoy gorgeous graphics at 60fps and true 4K resolution in HDR. Collect over 700 Forzavista™ cars, including the largest assortment of Ferraris, Porsches, and Lamborghinis ever. Master over 30 famous environments with race conditions that change every time you race. Available October 3, 2017 on Xbox One and Windows 10. Coming Holiday 2017 for Xbox One X.

It certainly does look good though, and is likely the showcase game for Scorpio.

Soldato
Some gameplay vis off the show floor.

VVV says this new Dashcam view is in the final build which is one nice improvement for me..

Inside Sim Racing in a truck:

Overall:
- Disappointed that more 'sim' options don't seem to be in, I mean, I'm all for easy options and making it accessible, but then just give us 'options' to make it more sim like..
- Devastated that NFS Shift 'wobbly' windscreen wipes (and no doubt wing mirrors) have made it in.. so false and artificial, hope that can be turned off or else :(
- On the show builds, no one is raving about the FFB improvements, I don't need too many, but a step forward would be nice.

+ Graphics obviously, kind of nice they aren't going crazy on making it super photo-realistic on every level, 4K@60fps (rock solid) is much preferred to me
+ New tracks/cars always nice
+ Good collaboration with manufacturers and having a more motorshow aspect to the game will help bring in more sponsored cars/events no doubt
+ Wheel options on PC are apparently a huge leap forward

Associate
Really looking forward to this, it's a play anywhere title as well, hopefully it runs the same as Forza Horizon 3 as that runs amazing at 4K.

Soldato
Pretty disappointed to see how arcade like this looks and how meh the handling seems....or maybe I've just been spoilt by Assetto, Iracing, Raceroom, Automobilista and even Project Cars as its now hugely improved with correct fixes to ffb files. Also, not sure why, but even the known sim racers looked so awkward playing it, it just doesn't look right to me.

Not going to get my panties in a twist just yet, will wait for the bigger picture, details on content etc, but initial impressions on the driving were not good. Obviously, stunning to look at, but that's Forza right.

Project Cars 2 has me more interested at the moment.

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty disappointed to see how arcade like this looks and how meh the handling seems....or maybe I've just been spoilt by Assetto, Iracing, Raceroom, Automobilista and even Project Cars as its now hugely improved with correct fixes to ffb files. Also, not sure why, but even the known sim racers looked so awkward playing it, it just doesn't look right to me.

Not going to get my panties in a twist just yet, will wait for the bigger picture, details on content etc, but initial impressions on the driving were not good. Obviously, stunning to look at, but that's Forza right.

Project Cars 2 has me more interested at the moment.

All Forza Mot. demos in shows are playable with all possible assists on,brake assist on,race line on etc.Even all 3 Horizons in shows was same.Reports from those who played demo says there is changes in physics,it takes time to get used to different cars,which is very good IMHO.
I already preordered Ultimate edt - T10 is very solid dev team,have all Forzas/Horizons,but i prefer Forza much more due to more "simmy" physics.
They are probably only dev team i have trust in they interviews about game features, they never just promised,and im very happy what i saw and read.
Sounds are improved also - gearbox whine can be clearly heard now in proper race cars,and sound overall is much improved.

Some new info today:
https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_e3_features
https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_e3_demo

Besides - all current videos hardly show all beauty:
https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html#874627109435604992

Last edited:
Soldato
All Forza Mot. demos in shows are playable with all possible assists on,brake assist on,race line on etc.Even all 3 Horizons in shows was same.Reports from those who played demo says there is changes in physics,it takes time to get used to different cars,which is very good IMHO.
I already preordered Ultimate edt - T10 is very solid dev team,have all Forzas/Horizons,but i prefer Forza much more due to more "simmy" physics.
They are probably only dev team i have trust in they interviews about game features, they never just promised,and im very happy what i saw and read.
Sounds are improved also - gearbox whine can be clearly heard now in proper race cars,and sound overall is much improved.

Some new info today:
https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_e3_features
https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fm7_e3_demo

Besides - all current videos hardly show all beauty:
https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/twitter.min.html#874627109435604992

It's all about the racing, handling, ffb and realism for me now mate. I've spent a huge amount of time sim racing these last few years due to not buying the xb1, meaning I've missed out on Forza 5 and 6. Because of that i guess you could say I've been spoiled with proper racing sims, online leagues, racing etiquette, amazing physics etc...maybe it's made me to critical on Forza. Just watching the gameplay vids and reading bits and pieces has me a little concerned.

I've been hugely excited for months, since Forza Apex as a matter of fact, at the prospect of a full phat FM appearing on PC, but now I've seen it play by sim racers I'm kinda left scratching my head a bit. The racing looks so arcade like, the cars look like they are filled with cement with no body roll, the way it looks to be playing with a wheel just doesn't look convincing to me.
Also reading 3 screen setups aren't properly supported, there's not going to be any changeable FOV sliders for each car so going to be that horrible to far back FOV again just like before. I feel ommisions like that smack of not really going all out for PC version.

There's no doubt visuals and audio are outstanding, as will be the hundreds and hundreds of cars, customisation, sheer amount of races available and general things to do. But the racing online needs to be engaging with real immersion. Project Cars 2 looks to be nailing it on this front taking the iRacing approach of safety rating and skill. Can Forza 7 do something similar I wonder, and have FFB and driving physics as good as Assetto, iRacing, Automobilista and the like......that I very much doubt and that's something I feel will eventually halt my levels excitement somewhat.

Few months away yet of course, will be looking every day for news like I always do and be tuned in to the normal sim racing YouTubers over the next few months. It's going to be a great scrap between Project Cars 2 and Forza 7 this autumn. Many tweets and YouTube replies from ppl that have played Forza 7 at e3 are saying PC2 has nothing to worry about, but of course those same ppl haven't even played PC2 yet lol.

Last edited:
Associate
I personally hated PC1-starting with they troubled launch,and finishing with pad fix (i cant race with wheel due to perma hand injury-only pad here),and they are not new people in racing games.
Sure i will check PC2,but FM just ticks all the boxes for me,besides i like SP campaign in games,and FM offers way more here.
Besides,FM is hitting hard ESport,so this is saying something as well.
Graphics,sound,amount of cars,tracks,car customization,SP campaign customization,etc etc - i doubt PC2 can fight here with FM.I even think those 2 games have quite different style/serving diff tastes

6:53 Dan talks about force feedback and pc wheelsupport. He says that they redone the force feedback and add more wheelsupport because of pc version.

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally hated PC1-starting with they troubled launch,and finishing with pad fix (i cant race with wheel due to perma hand injury-only pad here),and they are not new people in racing games.
Sure i will check PC2,but FM just ticks all the boxes for me,besides i like SP campaign in games,and FM offers way more here.
Besides,FM is hitting hard ESport,so this is saying something as well.
Graphics,sound,amount of cars,tracks,car customization,SP campaign customization,etc etc - i doubt PC2 can fight here with FM.I even think those 2 games have quite different style/serving diff tastes

6:53 Dan talks about force feedback and pc wheelsupport. He says that they redone the force feedback and add more wheelsupport because of pc version.

Campaign is never something that any Forza game has done well, its just throw 1000 random races together in different cars on the same circuit, hardly anything to call a campaign. Project Cars has a good campaign, it has structure, it has progress and it has rewards, it has a clear path etc and as for the handling on Project Cars with a controller....well yeah, that applies to every racing game with a controller, then it becomes an arcade game. We seem to be focusing a lot on Project Cars here, yes it's definitely the weakest of all the PC racing sims, but even then my god it's still head and shoulders above any Forza game with regards to physics, handling, the racing. This is a year old video, its gotten better even more so since then, but even so Forza when racing needs to go a long way to be this convincing as a serious racing game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5l0ApFN6I and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxEZxY1WvnY

Regarding the FFB, the talk is, it's horrible, nothing has changed from Forza Motorsport 6 on that front, but yeah they have definitely gone much further with the pc wheels so that's great and will have to see how that pans out going forward. If Forza Apex and Forza Horizon 3 on PC with a wheel is anything to go by, I wouldn't hold my breath at all, its simply embarrassing.

Time will tell, I do love a Forza games, have all of them and spent thousands and thousands of hours racing, tuning, paiting, doing leagues back on xbox360 etc, I'm just concerned this again is not going to be a serious competitve online game with realism like the well known sim racing games on PC. I really really want to be proven wrong as Forza always holds a soft spot with me. It gets so much right, but the racing always seems half baked and unrealistic with plenty of tools online that have no idea about proper race craft.

Associate
Well,we have different perspective what is good SP campaign,and what is not..I stopped playing PC after 6 races - was bored to death.Never noticed same track in Forza either
As for heads and shoulders PC above Forza regards physics etc. - well,thats totally incorect,but thats your opinion,im to lazy to go and look for videos/forum threads about that,i see no point,besides PC2 has own thread i believe,so..
As for pads - Forza is best such kind of racing game for pads,because you dont need wheel to enjoy a properly made game (or cant race with wheel,like me),there is nothing comes close to how Forza feels with pads.
Each to they own of course,but when racing game has less than 200 cars,it will become boring no matter what,no variety etc.They quite different games - PC trying to proper sim,while Turn10 just have a plan and making each iteration of Forza better.You dont need to be proper sim to be a good racing game,but Forza clearly leaving some sims behind regarding fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
they need to rename it Forza Casual 7 :)

jokes aside though, no doubt it'll be a great game with the typical amazing Forza polish and one i'll be all over because I'm a Forza boy at heart, but man I feel the series is getting left behind now. FM4 career if you want to call it that, that was the best of the lot. So many different race types, so many different restrictions, lots of championships etc, regions etc. You had to think about each car, where you wanted to race next, how to tune it to get into a particular championship and do well, that was great. I want something really deep and involving when not racing and something truly sim like when racing with severe penalties to gamers that can't flipping drive. Is that to much to ask :)

And about Project Cars now, it is my opinion because I race it most days, believe me it's way different now on a wheel, it aint far behind the leaders on the market. I race on iRacing, Assetto, Raceroom, Forza Apex weekly, I know what I feel through my racing rig :) Most people including yourself are doing that typical response to the early days and how much hurt went on with the dev team because how it launched.....which I don't blame you or others for at all. I'd be peed off to if I spent that kinda money on launch for what was released. I only bought about 6 months ago where things have improved massively.

Playing with a controller, only arcade racers are good on a controller which is exactly what Forza excels at, where as playing with a wheel it falls down because it's not realistic enough. Stunning game, fun game but not enough serious motorsport.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom