1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox-Hunting pro or against.

Discussion in 'SC Archive' started by Rancidelephant, 13 May 2004.

1. Rancidelephant

Mobster

Please could we have a nice factual debate without the slanging and repetitive thread the GD one seems to have turned into :)

As an opener i am personally pro hunting. Despite the 'horific' statistics banded about there seems comparatively few accidents compared to other horse based sports.

I personally dont see a problem with chasing a fox around the countryside for enjoyment.

I dont see a valid and harmless alternative to killing the foxes with hounds. I agree that not many as a proportion of the total foxes are killed in hunts but you must realise that a large proportion are killed on roads and live in urban areas where hunts are just not practical.

Fire away boys and girls.

2. Lister

Hitman

Im pro (not cs pr0..)
    A healthy fox might be able to outrun/hide. Injured old foxes wont.
    Where as a gun will kill them all.

3. shadyseti

Mobster

I will support the pro lobby , mainly because I dont see the problem and dont feel the need to stop others doing what they enjoy.

I also think that parliament and our politicians have more important things to spend their time on than foxhunting.

Shady

4. robmiller

Capodecina

Don't really care too much as it doesn't affect me at all, but I'd probably have to swing pro if forced.

5. memphisto

Man of Honour

6. gregz

Banned

I am anti hunting, because I don't see the need for dogs to chase a fox until it cannot run anymore and tear it to bits, for human pleasure.
    It is not an excuse for culling, there are far more cheaper, easier and effective ways of culling, for example hunting with guns.
    In this day and age there is no need for it, it is barbaric.
    And before anyone says it, I don't live in a city, I live in the countryside and have done all my life.
    it is utterly utterly pathetic.

7. phykell

Mobster

rm

Last edited: 7 Aug 2007
  8. JodieO

Sgarrista

Me too and I agree the topic has been done already too.

9. Manlove is my forte

Sgarrista

I am pro hunting but only as long as it is a fair hunt.

By that I mean the fox has not been previously captured, starved then released (I dont know if this happens)

If the fox gets to a hole it is not dug out or caved in. (thats just ungentlemanly)

As I have never been to a hunt I dont know if either happen.

Personally I dont think there is anything wrong with dogs chacing a fox. They have been the foxes natural preditor for thousands of thousands of years. If we humans had not culled the natural wolves from these lands (or even existed) then the foxes would be hunted naturally by packs of wolves.

So whats the problem? a few posh people chaseing the dogs that are hunting the foxes? They probably make enough noise to let every animal in the area know whats happening and to scarper.

10. UncleBob

Mobster

I couldn't care less, tbh.

I do suspect that if foxes and hares weren't cute and bore less of a passing resemblance to domestic pets nobody would bat an eyelid.

11. FTM

Soldato

Foxs in certain areas of the country need to be culled...the methods used should be efficient and do the intended job

in upper tynedale, its done by a bloke with a gun walking round his land and who has fieldcraft and knows where to find the foxes and to kill them quickly and get it over and done with as he invariably has 50 other jobs to do on his farm

a load of chinless wonders faffing about on horses is not an efficient way to cull a pest..its unecessary

yes to hunting..but it should be done properly to achieve its aim.

12. Manlove is my forte

Sgarrista

I disagree to an extent. I dont think it should be too efficent. If it is then we would just cause new problems because there would not be enough foxes to hunt other animals in the area.

That is another reason why hunts are good they kill the weaker foxs off and it is quite ineffective so the fox population is not going to be eradicated completely.

Humans are very good at hunting things to extinction. Guns, traps and poisons play a large part in this.

13. gregz

Banned

You don't think theres anything wrong with training dogs to chase an animal to death, into its burrow, dig it out and let the dogs tear it limb from limb, while people on horses gallop around?

14. peter_hutson

Wise Guy

Morning,

I am pro hunting. I except the argument though that it is not an efficient method to control the fox population. I believe people hunt because they enjoy the thrill of the chase and I have no problem with that. Hunting is one of our basic instincts, only most people do it at their local ASDA.

I am also against the state "banning" things. Banning is about one part of the population forcing it's views on the other.

A very small minority of Huntsmen abuse the hunt. This is not a good reason to bad it. Lets take football as an analogy, I believe football brinngs out the worst in many people, resulting in violence and damages the international reputation of this country abroad. Therefore using the same logic it too should be banned. But I and any intelligent broad minded person would see that it is only a small grounp of bad apples causing the problems and that a lot of good comes from the sport.

I really despise hunt sabs. It is they that are the criminals. Hunting remains legal and they often use illegal means to prevent a hunt taking place. By all means use you democratic write to protest, but do so in a mature/legal manner.

Cheers

15. Manlove is my forte

Sgarrista

It's what would happen if humans never existed. Isn't it? Well appart from the horses following on behind.

16. Matt

Soldato

I am PRO hunting.
    I also come from the countryside which seems to make a lot of difference as i know this is a big generalisation but a lot of people just dont understand the countryside :)

This subject has been coverted here many times though, so i'll just leave it as that.

17. gregz

Banned

Not exactly, for a start the dogs wouldn't exist if humans didn't because beagles are the product of cross breeding.
    in the british countryside foxes would be at the top of the foodchain.
    The dogs do not eat the fox, they tear it to bits.
    The whole thing is driven on by humans.

18. Manlove is my forte

Sgarrista

Wolves existed in this country until they were hunted to extinction. I think Bears did too. Both would have hunted and eaten foxes.

Foxes were never top of the food chain. Correct me if I am wrong but, when an animal eats another it tears it appart. AFAIK they dont use forks and knives.

19. UncleBob

Mobster

Now theres an idea. Hunting doley sabs with bears and wolves.

20. Manlove is my forte

Sgarrista

Using forks and knives;)