Fraud Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
A very informative thread, thanks for this, Halk :)

yak.h'cir said:
Very informative!! Thank you for the effort. It all seems very obvious but then why oh why do so many fall for it?!?

I wouldn't be quite so cocky if I were you, the fraudsters can be very sophisticated and cunning. Thinking only fools get conned is the first step to complacency and being conned yourself.

Associate
Hhmmm some useful info but aren't we in danager of getting a bit paranoid.

Could always go back to stuffing me cash in my matteress and ditching banks altogether ;)

Don't agree with taking cash out in one hit for the month or two weeks, to me that'll be approx £500 a month, rather have it sat in my account offsetting the interest they charge on my mortgage.

As for Internet Banking it's catch 22 I spotted a fraud against my Credit Card on the day it hit my Account rather than waiting until the end of the month for the statement through the post. Having said that when I informed Barclaycard and confirmed the fraud (someone in Aus was spending $110 a hit in a shoe shop) they agreed and could see a further three hits going to my account but reconned they couldn't do anything to stop them. Oh well it was there loss. But they cancelled the card there and then and issued me a new card and number next day.

Soldato
i was looking only at that top cash machine and totaly didn't what had changed till i seen the second one, i'm suprised how well done it is tbh.

5* and an archive recomendation from me :)

Associate
To be honest, that modified cash machine would have fooled me. Good post, hopefully it will save someone a lot of grief. Can someone please explain why "western Union" is not to be trusted, I know it isn't becuase of all the posts I've read saying so. But I don't know why.

Thanks

daz

daz

Soldato
Very helpful, thanks for your considerable effort in typing this up. :)

(This should either be stickied... or placed in a handy links thread)

Soldato
peter_hutson said:
To be honest, that modified cash machine would have fooled me. Good post, hopefully it will save someone a lot of grief. Can someone please explain why "western Union" is not to be trusted, I know it isn't becuase of all the posts I've read saying so. But I don't know why.

Thanks
Personally i trust Western Union more than anything else,
thats why scammers use it!
Also banks have to pay out for fraudulant transactions.

Soldato
jamoor said:
Also banks have to pay out for fraudulant transactions.

if it is their fault or you are completly not at fault yes, if you hand over your card in a shop and someone takes your details that negligence on your part and you will be responsible for missing funds.

DiG

DiG

Associate
With the pictures, I thought NO cash machines had slots that where raised out from the machine, always flat or going in, so you could tell?

Soldato
with the ATM thing, the likely hood of someone making a copy of the card signing it and going on a shopping spree is pretty unlikely - more often then not they put a blank card in (gold type of card that can store card details on it, be wiped and store another card details on it) copy your details to it - and would have had equipment up to see your pin, and then just hammer the ATM everyday till you notice.

Not a bad little piece of info there, good job

Soldato
Killerkebab said:
A tanker? Must the bank know I am in the army? :D
Also, what does removing the CVV2 number do? Is it just that now I can't use it online/by telephone?

If you remove the CVC digits from your card, then your card with not be authorised for any referral. So no high value purchases or making lots in one day for a start.

As far as asking for security passwords goes, if Natwest/RBS call, they will ask for two letters from the password if it is there. With us at least, if you ever recieve a call you're unsure about, call the number on the back of the card. During the day we can check with our fraud departments if they have called out, or there are folders with a bunch of contact numbers to check against. If someone says they can't check for you, the weekend team leaders are on or they are being lazy.
If a message is left, there should always be a name and reference number given.

Caporegime
McDaniel said:
with the ATM thing, the likely hood of someone making a copy of the card signing it and going on a shopping spree is pretty unlikely - more often then not they put a blank card in (gold type of card that can store card details on it, be wiped and store another card details on it) copy your details to it - and would have had equipment up to see your pin, and then just hammer the ATM everyday till you notice.

Not a bad little piece of info there, good job
Unfortunately it's more complex than that, they now also use false number pads to copy your pin.

All this "fancy" equipment can be had for less than 20 notes.

Soldato
Tbh the atm thing has got very confusing. I have noticed recently that Barclays have started putting covers over the card slot to stop people installing card skimmers. The only problem is these covers tend to look like card skimmers themselves. So where that leaves us I'm not sure. :confused:

Soldato
Stretch said:
Tbh the atm thing has got very confusing. I have noticed recently that Barclays have started putting covers over the card slot to stop people installing card skimmers. The only problem is these covers tend to look like card skimmers themselves. So where that leaves us I'm not sure. :confused:
give it a good old whack to see if it comes off :)

Soldato
Whenever I approach a cash machine I always look for odd bits that apprea to be stuck on. If anything lokos suspicious I'll give it a tug to see if it's loose or wobbly. Not come across anything so far though.

Associate
peter_hutson said:
Can someone please explain why "western Union" is not to be trusted, I know it isn't becuase of all the posts I've read saying so. But I don't know why.

It all depends on the situation.

If you are asked to pay for anything by making payment through western union, then once you have given western union the money, and the other person has gone to their WU branch and got the cash you can't get it back. In that case don't trust it at all.

If someone wants to pay you through WU (note, i'm only talking about where you go into a WU branch, not any online service) then that's fine. Perhaps the best way of receiving payment. You go to your local WU place, give the reference no etc and they give you the cash. Cold hard cash, not electronic or anything, proper notes. You have the cash, and you know there is no way it can be 'recalled' like cheques can bounce, paypal payments can be reversed etc.

So a blanket distrust of WU is not really justified, just if someone wants you to pay them through it.

Anyway, back on topic. excellent informative useful post. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom