Fraud Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Vixen said:
If you remove the CVC digits from your card, then your card with not be authorised for any referral. So no high value purchases or making lots in one day for a start.

As far as asking for security passwords goes, if Natwest/RBS call, they will ask for two letters from the password if it is there. With us at least, if you ever recieve a call you're unsure about, call the number on the back of the card. During the day we can check with our fraud departments if they have called out, or there are folders with a bunch of contact numbers to check against. If someone says they can't check for you, the weekend team leaders are on or they are being lazy.
If a message is left, there should always be a name and reference number given.

Very similar with HSBC.

I wasn't aware that other banks ask for pass details when they call you. Neither HBOS, HSBC or the other couple I've had personal accounts with have done this.

If Natwest are doing this it's a very questionable procedure.

On the one hand, Natwest are sure they are dealing with you. On the other hand, you're giving out vital information.

But one thing that stands is that if you're entirely unsure, say you're unsure, and that you'll call back (and remember to look up the number yourself!)

Associate
If you really want to remove all trace of internet banking then I suggest maybe something like Knoppix

Basically bootable cd of unix, wack it in, go to your banks website then simply reboot... all "physical" trace of you going to your banks website on your computer is effectively gone =)

My 2nd piece of advice.... PAY YOUR CREDIT CARD BILLS ON TIME... not fraud but you'll be sorry when it gets past to debt collectors =)

Soldato
The Halk said:
Very similar with HSBC.

I wasn't aware that other banks ask for pass details when they call you. Neither HBOS, HSBC or the other couple I've had personal accounts with have done this.

If Natwest are doing this it's a very questionable procedure.

On the one hand, Natwest are sure they are dealing with you. On the other hand, you're giving out vital information.

But one thing that stands is that if you're entirely unsure, say you're unsure, and that you'll call back (and remember to look up the number yourself!)

It's not questionable at all. They will only ask for two letters from the password. If we can't confirm the customer then we can't go over any account details. It's people who say any details are wrong to give out that make our life at the bank VERY difficult.
Last night I had to call a customer to tell him some cards had been found at a gym and I had to cancel them (company policy) but if I could ID him then I was able to at least get a new card out for the end of the week. Trying to figure out what to ask customers in that situation is such a pain because no-one trusts it actually is the bank any more :(

Soldato
OP
Vixen said:
It's not questionable at all. They will only ask for two letters from the password. If we can't confirm the customer then we can't go over any account details. It's people who say any details are wrong to give out that make our life at the bank VERY difficult.
Last night I had to call a customer to tell him some cards had been found at a gym and I had to cancel them (company policy) but if I could ID him then I was able to at least get a new card out for the end of the week. Trying to figure out what to ask customers in that situation is such a pain because no-one trusts it actually is the bank any more :(

Postcode and DOB :)

Asking for passwords/codes on outbound calls is questionable. It's questionable because I'm questioning it. I didn't say it was wrong, I said it was questionable. HSBC don't, and I agree why we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom