Free AWS VPN

Soldato
Has anyone else created their own free AWS VPN, as described here?

https://www.webdigi.co.uk/blog/2015...ee-vpn-on-the-amazon-aws-cloud-in-10-minutes/

It genuinely took me about 15 minutes from scratch before I had my iPad connected. (instructions are a bit old now and things have moved on, including AWS having a London region)

This is going to be very useful for a bit of iPlayer usage while I'm in North America next week.

I'm impressed

Soldato
OP
I've only tested it at home where it doesn't slow my mighty 4Mbps internet at all!! I'll see next week what it can really do.

There's lots of regions you can set it to. London, Dublin, Frankfurt, various places in the US from what I remember off the top of my head.

Caporegime
Have you checked what the VM it creates and you are tunnelling all your web traffic through actually does?

Soldato
OP
I'm not good enough to be able to tell, but the Devops guys at work dug around it before recommending it to me. I'll only use it for routing video streaming through an iPad which doesn't do a lot else so they're welcome to snoop on that if they want. You make a good point though - best to check it all thoroughly before relying on it for anything serious.

Soldato
OP
So it's just a cloudformation script that spins up a t2.micro with openswan running the vpn service.

Yes I believe so. I think if you are in anyway a competent network engineer or sysadmin, this is hardly going to be a revelation. But for those reasonably tech savvy but don't know their way around Linux and such things it was a pleasant and hassle free exercise, so I hope it's of some use to someone.

Soldato
Yes I believe so. I think if you are in anyway a competent network engineer or sysadmin, this is hardly going to be a revelation. But for those reasonably tech savvy but don't know their way around Linux and such things it was a pleasant and hassle free exercise, so I hope it's of some use to someone.

Yea sorry didn't mean to sound like a know it all, was just pointing it out, also means its free for a year so make sure you cancel it after that otherwise you'll get charged!

Back
Top Bottom