Free Firewalls no more ?

Caporegime
Enfield said:
What's right with the Windows firewall?

It sits there not putting an icon in my notification area, it doesn't nag me every time it allows a connection through, and it pops up a box whenever a new program is trying to establish a connection, allowing me to choose if I want it to connect to the internet or not.

So, what's wrong with the Windows Firewall?

Soldato
Caged said:
It sits there not putting an icon in my notification area, it doesn't nag me every time it allows a connection through, and it pops up a box whenever a new program is trying to establish a connection, allowing me to choose if I want it to connect to the internet or not.

It fails to stop outgoing traffic properly, which can result in all sorts of spyware and trojans to communicate freely.

Man of Honour
Caged said:

How can you set up Windows firewall to block or monitor outbound connections, I can't find the option to do so?

Soldato
AJUK said:
How can you set up Windows firewall to block or monitor outbound connections, I can't find the option to do so?

I echo this sentiment. Keen to drop Zonealarm - it's blocking my DS Wifi Connector regardless of what I do, whereas the Windows Firewall is fine :)

Soldato
Windows Firewall will not alert for attempted outbound connections. It will prompt when an application attemts to listen on a particular port, offering some service (or hole, depending on how you look at it, and the application) to the network.

Back
Top Bottom