Free weights advice

Associate
Hi, I'm looking to get my own set of free weights for training at home.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-8600.aspx
(not a competitor right?)

Is there anything glaringly bad about these?

Also the weights it says it comes with add up to 11Kg per bar (22kg in total), guess a typo somewhere. I think i would add another four 5kg weights so i can do sets with 10-20kg.

Anywhere much better to go?

Thanks

Caporegime
Are you a ten year old boy? :p

Unless you are, you will grow out of those very quickly imho even with 20Kg.

It's just that I have a set of similar dbs with low weights etc and they're useless now as I can do like 30 reps with them. Maybe look for a set with more weight?

Soldato
A gym?!

You'll need a barbell and a bench if you intend to make any significant gains. Unless you want to just stand there doing bicep curls.

Associate
OP
more a runner actually :p

Mainly trying to just keep fit.
Weedy at the moment. My current routine is a 5k run every other day with floor exercises on the off day (press ups, dips, crunches), this would give me something to add into this for a bit of variety. Find this much more convenient than a gym.

How you recommend getting them, maybe 10kg to 30kg?

Cheers

Soldato
You should be fine with upto 30KG on either DB.

For the love of god don't stand there bicep curling for hours on end.

Squats, Deadlifts, Rows, Shoulder Press, Raises etc

Once you have a bench you can throw in some chest work otherwise this has to be done on the floor with limited range of motion. Obviously press ups are an option with the weight on your back.

Get a pull up bar too for some more back work.

Work the body as a whole and don't neglect your legs.

Read the bodybuilding sticky. I know you don't want to get ripped and huge. It's full of useful information and I strongly recommend you read it.

Associate
you can always use a stability ball insted of a bench if your working out at home (works the same as a bench but requires core stablization) its better overall.

although i admit i stopped using it when i started at the gym because i was increasing weights and didnt want to risk hurting myself =P

but if you have good form the increase in work level is crazy.

Soldato
you can always use a stability ball insted of a bench if your working out at home (works the same as a bench but requires core stablization) its better overall.

although i admit i stopped using it when i started at the gym because i was increasing weights and didnt want to risk hurting myself =P

but if you have good form the increase in work level is crazy.

Excellent suggestion. However, you need to bear in mind the maximum load is relatively small. Besides, I wouldn't want to be pressings 40s on one :p

Ant :cool:

Associate
exactly =) but since sandmaster500 is a runner hes not going for big weights so it would probably be better for him.

Back
Top Bottom