1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freenas

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Matt_Hirst, 14 May 2010.

1. Matt_Hirst

Wise Guy

Am trying to set up a cobbled together sever, what I am wanting is just somewhere I can either backup to or have it auto create a backup of certain files from my main machine, act as a media store and I think thats about it.

Hardwarewise I have a 1TB wd gree a Samsung 2tb green disk and a Intel D945GUCLF2.

Reading up on a few forum everyone seems to reccomend freenas, so I duly downloaded made an install disk and tried to install it, this is where the problems start. It appears to be going through the process of id'ng hardware, etc, etc but after a few minutes the screen goes blank, it's as though the monitor looses connection. Pressing a key on the keyboard the screen comes back on but goes to like a console where you can type - the way I understood it is that it should come up with a menu system and install options, etc, etc. So what am I doing wrong? This is the file I downloaded reeNAS-i386-LiveCD-0.7.1.5127.iso and then burnt the iso to disk.

what other software could I use to do what I have mentioned above, ideally free. Am totally new to Linux.

regards,

Matt

2. Matt_Hirst

Wise Guy

Have just downloaded Fedorra 12 and tried this, this also fails to load but gives the message:

[drm:drm_mode_rmfb] *error* tried to remove a fb that we didn't own boot has failed, sleeping forever

It starts to boot and gives a blue screen, but then fails.

Anyone got a clue as to what it all means?

regards,

Matt

3. Methanoid

Mobster

Fb is framebuffer - sounds like it isnt recognisng the VGA.

Not such a great buy ;) ?

4. craptakular

Capodecina

Try the latest Ubuntu 10.04 or Fedora 13 beta.

5. Matt_Hirst

Wise Guy

Annoying thing is Feddora 11 is recognised, just 12 fails. Will try 13 and see where that leads me.

Alternatively is there anything I can do to get Freenas working with the graphics on this board?

regards,

Matt

6. MasterPlan1

Wise Guy

This may sound odd, but have you tried burning the ISOs at a slow speed? i.e. 4x? Just I know linux distros can get a bit odd when they're burnt at full speed.

7. jennidc

Hitman

Have you gone to the freenas homepage and looked at there supported hardware list to se if your hardware is supported?

Check you have the latest distro of FreeNas also.

8. jennidc

Hitman

9. Matt_Hirst

Wise Guy

Burning at a slow speed sorted this one out!

Thanks everyone for their help.

regards,

Matt

10. craptakular

Capodecina

so everything is setup and working?