freesync/g-sync that good?

Associate
Im looking to upgrade to a 1440 144hz monitor and new graphics card but how much do I need to pay attention to the freesync/g-sync? Ive tried to research and I often read its doesn't matter too much at higher frame rates?
Im tending towards a 2070 but the freesync monitors are way more affordable to me than the gsync.
Would I be shooting myself in the foot to not go gsync?
Alternatively go RX VEGA 64 with the freesync, but the slightly lower spec, higher temps and power consumption concern me.

Associate
Buttery smooth.

It's a worthy addition if you're looking at renewing kit and either flavour is worth considering.

I opted gsync simply because I already had 980ti and wanted a higher refresh ultrawide with adaptive sync.

Would have been tempted with freesync if I was also looking at replacing gpu (and might still do so given Nvidias behaviour of late)

Associate
Look on the Vega56 and 64 owner threads, Undervolting brings down temps and power consumption and bumps up performance, As well as freesync, Radeon settings have an enhanced sync option on vertical refresh and a chill option as well which works great. Wattman lets you fiddle around a fair bit with temps and voltages. Vega (IMO) is best bang for buck ATM with the deals Gibbo has been sorting out recently, Ive got a Vega 56 undervolted and a 32", 2560x1440, 75hz freesync monitor and for the £550 outlay for both i'm well happy with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Freesync is cheaper and is inevitably going to win out in the long-term because it's low cost for monitor makers to implement, open to Nvidia when they finally come to the table and use it. And whilst AMD are unable to match Nvidia at the high-end for the time being, that will change. I would say that if Vega is "good enough" for you, go Freesync.

But definitely go for one of them at least. Consistency is more important than super-high frame rates.

Associate
so what does fastsync do ?
You use fastsync if your card renders faster than your monitor can display (otherwise you still get tearing). For example i have a GTX980 and a 1080P 60 hz monitor. I get tearing when I play games that are 90 fps or higher. With fast sync enabled, no tearing and no input lag like you get with vsync.

Associate
I could never go back to a monitor without variable refresh rate, the difference is too great. I do wonder what the benefits of G-sync are over FreeSync 2, are there any good sources to learn from?

Associate
OP
OK so I'm now sold on getting a g-sync monitor thanks to your comments. Anyone have any comments on either AGON AG241QG or Dell S2417DG? Both seem very similar and have positive reviews but the AGON slightly edging it on price. Looking forward to seeing what I've been missing out on so thanks for the help.

Soldato
I could never go back to a monitor without variable refresh rate, the difference is too great. I do wonder what the benefits of G-sync are over FreeSync 2, are there any good sources to learn from?

I think only that you get to use Nvidia cards with it, which are currently the highest end products (assuming you're buying the very high end).

Associate
OK so I'm now sold on getting a g-sync monitor thanks to your comments. Anyone have any comments on either AGON AG241QG or Dell S2417DG? Both seem very similar and have positive reviews but the AGON slightly edging it on price. Looking forward to seeing what I've been missing out on so thanks for the help.
I had the Dell and it was very good.

Soldato
Im looking to upgrade to a 1440 144hz monitor and new graphics card but how much do I need to pay attention to the freesync/g-sync? Ive tried to research and I often read its doesn't matter too much at higher frame rates?
Im tending towards a 2070 but the freesync monitors are way more affordable to me than the gsync.
Would I be shooting myself in the foot to not go gsync?
Alternatively go RX VEGA 64 with the freesync, but the slightly lower spec, higher temps and power consumption concern me.

Yes Freesync is smooth better buy Vega 64 + Freesync than 2070 on it's own.

Caporegime
I picked up the Asus PG2278QR for the silly boxing day misprice that was honoured by a competitor and am just trying it this evening.

TN has come along way. It's not bad at all side by side with my Dell U2515H. High refresh rate and G-Synch are smoooth.

Soldato
I picked up the Asus PG2278QR for the silly boxing day misprice that was honoured by a competitor and am just trying it this evening.

TN has come along way. It's not bad at all side by side with my Dell U2515H. High refresh rate and G-Synch are smoooth.

Me too. I was worried g-sync wouldn't live up to the hype, but it's honestly fantastic. No more worrying about finding settings that let me hit the max refresh rate 99% of the time, just find some settings that put me in the 100+ fps range and it's smooth as silk 100% of the time.

I'm pretty sensitive to tearing though, those that are not might not be so easily impressed I guess.

Caporegime
Me too. I was worried g-sync wouldn't live up to the hype, but it's honestly fantastic. No more worrying about finding settings that let me hit the max refresh rate 99% of the time, just find some settings that put me in the 100+ fps range and it's smooth as silk 100% of the time.

I'm pretty sensitive to tearing though, those that are not might not be so easily impressed I guess.

Did you get the misprice too? I'm blown away that they honoured it. Even sold the COD code so paid £165!

Last edited:
Soldato
Switching between TV in living room with my PC and then on my G-Sync monitor, the difference in smoothness is VERY obvious, no question about it.

Back
Top Bottom