1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freeview and Freesat in Win7 Media center

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by Luke284, 15 Dec 2011.

1. Luke284

Wise Guy

Hi,

I've got a HTPC running Windows 7 and I use the built in Media center for TV etc. I've got a Dual freeview card installed for watching and recording TV.

I was thinking about getting a Sat tuner card and using that to get the HD channels that are on freesat.

Will media center allow me to have two freeview tuners (on a single card) and a freesat tuner as well?

Ideally I'd want a dual sat tuner and not use the dual freeview tuner but my flat only has a single sat feed to my living room.

2. probedb

Wise Guy

I'm pretty sure it will. I was originally looking at getting a BlackGold BG3600 which is twin Freeview HD and twin Freesat but decided to stick to a 3620 which is just twin FreeviewHD.

Freesat is better because they use AC3, Freeview decided on AAC for HD which pretty much no receiver will support :(

3. DragonQ

Soldato

Freesat is also better simply because of the superior bit rates. I had to watch some ITV4 footy last night on Freeview because my DVB-S2 tuner was being used to record something else. It was painful, blocks everywhere. For the second half I watched on satellite and it was much nicer.

Windows Media Center should work fine with 2x DVB-T(2) and 1x DVB-S(2) tuners, although it has a weird bug that if one tuner is DVB-T and another is DVB-T2, it won't find DVB-T2 channels (i.e. the HD ones). There is a fix for this though, I think it's posted on BlackGold's website.

Have you tried the open source MediaPortal by the way? It has a good number of advantages over Windows Media Center, including being able to record as many streams as you want with a single tuner if they're all on the same multiplex. As a test, I recorded 13 channels simultaneously last night using my BGT-3630 and all worked perfectly. :D

4. lurkio

Mobster

I have both freeview and freesat on my HTPC , I use Nova-S2 freesat and Nova-TD500
    for freeview

Media portal is pretty good

5. Jay794

Soldato

I get freeview through WMC without a tuner, loads of website allow you to stream live tv for free