Freeview HD thru Sky HD - resolution ?

Associate
Hi

is the resolution of Freeview HD thru a Sky HD box the same as over air ?

seem to remmeber many years ago that it o/p 720 ?

set up will be new in a few weeks time

i'm not really into the 1080p or 1080i just line numbers - that will do for my purposes

someone recently told me the freeview hd thru sky isnt as good as over air so i wanted to canvas opinion

thanks

p.s. I haven't had sky since the old analogue days

Caporegime
You can't get Freeview HD through Sky, do you mean is the quality of a BBC One HD, ITV HD etc the same on Sky and Freeview?

If so there are differences due to how they are broadcast, so the bitrates will differ. If you care that much about it though then you will notice issues on both systems - any fast movement will macroblock and any subtle gradients will tend to confuse the encoders into producing a smudged mess. I wouldn't say there's a noticeable difference between the platforms, they both look terrible.

Virgin Media is supposed to use much higher bitrates but I think they're still all MPEG2 so I have no idea if that results in a better image.

Caporegime
I don't know what post you read but I'm pretty sure it wasn't mine.

If you think Sky source their FTA HD channels from Freeview HD then that answers your question about the quality doesn't it.

Man of Honour
The Sky versions of the Freeview HD channels are at 1080i resolution.

720p was proposed by rejected as an alternative resolution. I don't think there's much if anything now routinely broadcast in 720p via Sky or Freeview HD.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom