Freezing Food

Soldato
Hi you ‘orrible lot. Got a question for you.

After a discussion I just had and a quick google, my question is this: How long can you keep food frozen for? Meat being the main example.

We keep food frozen someone’s for over a year (12-18 months) and it’s still good. However found out that a lot of people don’t recommend keeping for that long and a lot of Internet sources specify as low as 4 months for some meats!

So what does OCUK say about this?

Last edited:
Associate
It depends how it’s packaged and how big and thick/thin it is, my main concern would be freezer burn. If there’s a decent air gap around the meat and it’s fairly small or thin then within 3-4 months it will be fairly dry and nasty. The bigger it is or the smaller the air gap then the longer it will last.

The best solution is to vacuum seal anything you want to keep long term, do this and it will last years.

Soldato
I bought myself a vacuum sealer for this very purpose after I bought a load of meat from Musclefood. I'm still taking some chicken, or whatever, out weekly and once defrosted is ok many months later. I'm sure it'll last many many more months still.

Back
Top Bottom