1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

French immigration bill

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by crashuk, 18 May 2006.

1. crashuk

PermaBanned

2. Nix

Capodecina

Stuff political correctness. I think the French have hit the nail on the head. Why do you want to increase your population burdon with no benefits, unless being an ethnic minority is a benefit now? I'd like to see the UK following the same path, if you're going to work here it has to be something we want you for. This probably sounds incredibley selfish, but at the end of the day, all nation states are selfish. This makes perfect economical sense.
    I wonder if the French are going to set up strict controls on remittances too?

Last edited: 18 May 2006
  3. dirtydog

PermaBanned

It's a good bill but it doesn't stop unskilled non-French speaking immigrants from within the EU. The EU has already expanded to include a lot of very poor eastern european countries and there are more to follow.

4. anarchist

PermaBanned

That's probably why some are calling it racist.

5. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Why? Because they are idiots? France isn't allowed under EU law to control immigration from countries within the EU. If some immigrants from outside the EU are black then that is purely incidental.

6. anarchist

PermaBanned

No, I meant because they are allowing non-french speaking people from inside the EU, but not from outside, hence why some (not me) might call it racist. As you say though, they have no choice under EU law.

7. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

"Critics say it is racist", probably meaning the same people who say any change to immigration is racist, regardless of merit.

Is the idea that required skills are welcomed, or just people considered to have skills...

8. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I was calling the people blaming France for allowing EU immigration, idiots :) I'm not sure if that was clear. Clearly, to blame France for a policy which they have no choice about would be rather idiotic. (Well, no choice short of leaving the EU I guess)

9. crashuk

PermaBanned

you have to see the EU as a super state, if you see it like that then its different.

10. cleanbluesky

Capodecina

Who do you think contributed to the original policy, and who do you think have the power to veto it - although I agree that it would be very hard for them to change that committment now...

11. mauron

Gangster

Reading through all the threads about immigration it seems to me that the problem is the EU. When the european union started it was economic only and seemed to be working OK, then they brought in politics, and lots of strange laws on everything including human rights, which our leaders & judges have interperated in some very strange ways. Go back to economics only & give law making back to each individual country. Then common sense may prevail.

12. Old Turkey

Gangster

I'm scratching my head at this. I'm surprised this Bill has gone through. I'm shocked that France didnt have this sort of legislation in place decades before now. I would never have thought that France, of all nations, would be allowing any old unskilled dross into their Country. Even in the UK we don't legally allow unskilled workers in easily (EU peasant countries being the exception).

Something doesnt smell right here. Are we to believe that France up until now let any old tramp into their Country? Thats what the article suggests to me, but I just cant believe it.

13. dirtydog

PermaBanned

FWIW and AFAIK, the Human Rights act is nothing to do with the EU, but I await correction from someone. It's the Council of Europe, not the EU if you want to blame someone.

14. Morat

Wise Guy

France has a vastly higher number of immigrants living in the country than Britain. Both numerically and by population.
    Many of the suberbs of Paris are extremely poverty stricken with unemployed and unskilled people of a large immigrant base.
    This is presumably a step to stop it escalating too much.

15. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Really? Do you have any figures for that? :)

It should be remembered that France's population is the same as ours but their country is twice the size of the UK, yet they are still realising that immigration has gone too far. We on the other hand are going full steam ahead with it.

16. anarchist

PermaBanned

15% apparently.

17. dirtydog

PermaBanned

From earlier this week...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18052006/356/illegal-immigrants-arrested-home-office.html

So illegal immigrants were working in the Home Office which is responsible for controlling immigration - you couldn't make it up. John Reid says they had only just started work there, but today the contract cleaning company claims they had worked there for years!